The Older Olds Studio Trumpet verus Olds Tri-Metal Special T

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by study888, Nov 28, 2005.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    It seems the Older Olds Studio Trumpet is more sought after than the tri-metal Olds Special trumpet. The specs. and valves appear to be the same. They appear the same in every respect except that the Studio has a brass bell with 1/4 to 1/8 of it in nickel silver. The Olds Special has a nickel silver bell with 1/4 to 1/8 of it on older version a bronze bell and the newer tri-metal with a rose brass bell. May have been the same on both.Just a marketing word ploy. Does one play that superior to the other? Are they very differant in sound? Like the Studio very bright and the Special very dark. The tri- Special seems not to be as popular as its older version are even the ambassadors. It seems that the metal mix would have made it a very great sounding horn with a unique sound all its own instead of being the red headed step child of the Olds Family. All comments welcomed. :dontknow:

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

My experience has been that the Studio is a very bright horn whereas the Special is a little darker but has less resistance.

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm currently doing a lot of playing on a LA Studio (ca. 1950). The bell flare is indeed, solid nickel. And it definitely makes a big difference, too. The horn is naturally bright, but not to the point that you can't use it in legit situations (I played a classical quintet gig with it once). That being said, the Studio is much more at home in a jazzy situtation. I've not yet had the pleasure of playing/owning a Special (though I've been keeping my eyes open), but I'd imagine the sound would be slightly warmer, dunno about darker.

4. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I'd have to look up the exact specs, but the Special is really an ambassador w/ fancier trim. Literally. The Studio is a different animal. I believe the Studio and the Super had a different leadpipe from the Ambassador and a few other Olds models as well...a tighter venturi for one thing.