The Only Sure Way To Learn To Play The Trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Feb 15, 2004.

1. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Don Jacoby was a great teacher...

There have been many great teachers over the years, as well as many great students.

2. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    And just who might have been that "fine professional trumpet player and teacher" in that South Carolina orphanage that is entitled to the credit for producing such jazz greats as Cat Anderson, Jabbo Smith, Buddy Aiken, and perhaps others? Perhaps the obvious is not so much related to what was being taught as to what was being learned?

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Good teaching and good learning go hand in hand.

4. trumpetwise

trumpetwise New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
  5. Welk

Welk New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    Montréal, Canada
    I'd say that :

Yes, you gotta have a good teacher to learn to play trumpet in a good way.

BUT I don,t consider that you have to take lesson with good teacher... with the information stream that is very fast in those day, you can find tons of information in books or over the internet. And Those books/thread/article... are written by fine player that have experiences.

Like me.... for 3 month so far, I've been studying with Caruso. A dead teacher! But his teaching can be founded over the internet and his former student gives me tips and trick IF I have any question. Such forum as TM or TH really help a student.

I've been playing trumpet for 4 years so far. I've learned the names of the notes and rythm figure at school, I,ve learned the basic fingering and the C scale in Air Cadet... I did the rest by my self and with the help of internet. Since november, I'm really more into trumpet and I've got The Arban book, and the Caruso Method. I'd say taht I'm now a good intermediate player and still improving each day. My embouchure is strong, my range continually improve ( I hitted Double High G a couple of times) when I had difficultie to hit the high C a few month ago... my endurance is getting better. And Did I took classes with a fine profeessional teacher? No...

The only sure way to learn trumpet is wanting to learn it!

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    But it helps to have a teacher, Welk. Oh, it helps IMMENSELY. Things you have to research on a teacher can tell you in five seconds. There are also MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY things never written in books that are passed through word of mouth. Can I name them? No. But, they do indeed exist.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Alan Wise, who played with Maynard for 7 years had this to say (BTW, I went to high school with Alan -- we had quite the band).

Did you learn anything about trumpet playing from Maynard?

Volumes! In seven years we talked about playing the trumpet for about 90 seconds. I watched his back constantly. There is the answer. It is not staring at his chops!

See http://maynard.ferguson.net/alan.htm

What is a teacher? Sometimes a great example -- not always someone who gives you lessons and drills.

Another thought .... if we only learn from other great teachers, where does innovation and creativity come in? Some (many?) teachers want you to play a certain way -- but maybe that is not best for you.

Don't discount learning from listening and old fashion work.

M&C

8. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had great trumpet teachers:

Dave Bacon
    Fred Forney
    Russ Capri

...and great music teachers:

Grant Wolf
    Hugh Lovelady
    Fred Sturm
    Ron McCurdy
    Tim Hagans
    Joey Sellers
    Tony Malaby

Dave, Fred, Russ, Grant, and Hugh also taught me a lot about how to be a better musician (taking care of business), and ultimately, how to be a better person.

Then of course there is Miles, Chet, Freddie, Tom Harrell, etc.

There are great teachers. Anyone who tells you differently hasn't had one.

--Kevin

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Grant was just the best. One of the great listeners of all time. He would listen to a conversation going on all around him, and when it seemed like no one had gotten anywhere he would suddenly say the most brilliant stuff anyone's ever said. You'd just go, "That says it all.."

Really miss him.

10. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah Dave...

His use of analogies/stories was amazing, too. If a band was struggling with a concept, he could tell a story, then relate something in that story to that particular concept as an analogy, and PRESTO... The band would get it. I'd like to give an example, but I'm afraid I wouldn't do him justice.

Whenever I decide to come back to Phoenix on leave, I'll be making a stop by MCC. But it won't be MCC without Grant. Hell, Phoenix won't be Phoenix without him. The world lost one of it's best when Grant passed away. What a beautiful person.

--Kevin