The Only Sure Way To Learn To Play The Trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Feb 15, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

I took lessons grades 5-8 with woodwind teachers. Freshman year of high school had I no lessons at all. Sophomore year was when my brass playing band teacher came. She has changed my habits.

It helps when you can play with a teacher that doesn't play clarinet!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have learned more from playing alongside of other fine players and by just focusing on what is coming out of the end of my horn than I have ever learned from an instructor. Call it the "School of Life" or whatever, but if you are self aware and are paying attention, you will learn trememdous amounts from what is going on around you. In a sense, every player that I talk to becomes and instructor because I take the time to listen and learn.

Then again, maybe that's why I'm just a section, utility player. I've never really defined my own style. Instead, I play by expressing through emulation of something that I have heard before. Even if I've never heard it before, I may have heard something like it and therefore I can emulate it.

This doesn't mean that I don't value a good instructor, because there comes a time where that is certainly a tool that can be used to move you to the next level.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hmmm.....I was doing a search on "Don Jacoby" when I came upon this thread. I look at my comments from back in April, and I think about some of the things that I have learned just recently, and although I still agree with my earlier comments, my ideas about needing a good instructor have changed after 1 great lesson with a good instructor. The reason for this change of opinion became self evident when I applied some very basic concepts that I learned in 1 lesson on a gig this last weekend, and made it through a grueling 2.5 hour set that would have put me out of the loop for a week previously.

At the moment I'm working on some basic concepts out of Don Jacoby's book. It's too early to tell how far this instructor and these concepts are going to take me, but the change on the gig was remarkable, (and after just 1 week!) and I feel excited about playing rock band trumpet again for the first time in months.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    That's great Patrick. It's wonderful when you find someone that really knows what they're talking about and can apply it to your needs.

I actually agree with Bacon's original premise that lessons with a great teacher will do wonders for you; however, the problem is finding a "great teacher." Based on my own personal experience, I'd guess that 2/3ds do more harm than good. Also, a "great teacher" without a greats student usually isn't going to accomplish much. Most parents and young students aren't equipped to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Here lately I've been very fortunate to be exposed to great teachers like Clint "Pops" McLaughlin, Rich Szabo, Jeff Smiley, Bert Truax and others. These guys addressed "issues" in my mechanics. I was already a "musician" from other exposure. If my daughter played trumpet raher than flute, I might send her to someone different, but I would find her a great teacher just as I've done on flute (Helen Blackburn of the Dallas Opera). Still, the average parent doesn't know how to find the "master teachers" and it's often a matter of luck connecting to a great teacher.

Patrick, who is your instructor?

Dave