The Park Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Recently I have been playing in parks. I have new neighbors, and it is nice out. Does anyone have suggestions for etiquette? Most parks have some sort of noise ordinance, but it doesn't seem to be problem so far. Especially playing during the day.

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    is this performing/busking or practice? I know most cities in the UK you need a permit from the council to busk although vary little do and just get moved on, I would carry on until someone complains then maybe talk to the council and ask them if you are aloud and the rules etc

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    No not busking, just practicing. Though that is a good point, I know Santa Fe needs a busking permit. And, I am not sure what the distinction is.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Brilliant!:D

--bumblebee

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think you have your answer .. if on one is complaining and you don't have a hat on the ground ...
    What's the worse that would happen? Someone will ask you to stop?

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Someone asked if he could play in the park, and the answer was it's OK if he is not allowed trumpet player.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Eons ago when I was fresh outta prep school gigging parties in the '70's we had this high-toned gig in Bedford Hills.

Muted trumpet, Bass, traps and piano. Anyway, this obviously drunk snob walks up to us and sez, "can you play"That's what you are?"
    Piano guy replies, "I'd love to but I don't think we have it in the "book" ".

"My God, one of the most popular songs in the world and you don't know it?"

"Well" replied Tony, from his keyboard, "Sing it for me, maybe I'll know it"

So the guy sings........"Unforgettable......That's what you are".....You can't make this merde up!!!!

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    :D
    thought yould like that!

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A fellow asked my wife and I for a song and said "And don't forget the Bum Ba De Das"

He wanted the " Roy Rogers song" Happy Trails to You.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My suggestion is don't do it. Practicing in a public place is generally obnoxious.