The Passion

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpeterb, Feb 29, 2004.

1. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I finally got to see this movie the other day....WOW. What a powerful movie. It is rather graphic, but I think that was Gibsons' intent. I don't normally get emotional at movies, but I cried at this one....outright cried, as did several others around me. It is very intense. The soundtrack sounds pretty good too.

2. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    I saw this movie today. Graphic? Yes! But VERY POWERFUL! My wife and I started shedding tears from the very beginning of the movie. Four hours later, our eyes would still well up with tears, when discussing the movie!

A job VERY WELL DONE to Mel Gibson, Jim Caviezel, and the rest of the cast and crew!

Blessings,

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Just saw it 7 hours ago. My reaction was interesting. The quote from Isaiah 53 at the beginning of the film just kept going through my mind the entire film, especially during the scourging. And actually, the only parts of the violence that I couldnt' bear to watch was the nails being driven through the palms. But I didn't cry. I don't know why, everyone else was, but I didn't. Not like the film didn't move me, but I've just never really cried like that since I was a child. I didn't shed a tear at my grandfather's wedding in the 7th grade. But a very powerful and effectively portrayed movie.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i just saw the O'Reilly show.
    some scholar said that if you don't like the movie then you are "rejecting the scriptures".
    he said that 90% of America was Christian.
    he said that if you were not Christian you were "leading a destructive life".
    i felt sad.

5. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    First let me be up front. I am a Christian. But, I take issue with anyone who says that if you don't like the movie you are rejecting the scriptures. As a Christian, the one thing that is first and foremost in my life is the personal relationship that I have with Jesus Christ. However, how an individual comes to that relationship is "PERSONAL". It could very well come through this movie, but it very well might not. When people like the one you describe says the things he does it sounds very Pharisee like in its blanket condemnation of those who don't agree with him - when I hear statements like that it also makes me sad. Sometimes we just need to be nicer.

Since I did not hear the interview you are speaking of I hope I am not taking this person's statements out of context. if so I apologize.

6. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I saw that same "comentator" on a different show, and he said that if you question the accuracy of the movie, then that would be rejecting the Scripture. Biiiiig difference. I know my pastor didn't 'like' the movie simply because it made him so incredibly uncomfortable. It's quite convicting.

7. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Bravo Mel Gibson! I can only say WOW! I found it very hard to watch at times, due to the graphic content, but it was amazing.....
    thanks Mel Gibson, you make great movies! 8)

8. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm surprised no one has brought up the anti-semitism involved in passion plays and the like. Was no one else aware of how the non-christ believing jews were all evil, and the christ followers were all good?

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    nope.

10. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Uh oh.......put yer helmets on! :shock: