The peel is real

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, May 14, 2014.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hey guys, so my lips have gone into a cycle I believe...I hate playing with the slightest little flake up on my lips because it will eventually give me a double buzz. It's like the outer layer of skin that is used for playing can never fully heal and I have to keep using the skin under the outer layer. Basically my lips are having a hard time getting back to their good state. I use the lip balm that looks like a ball, its called eos. When I first started it was pretty good for me, but now I deem it to be useless or maybe even a bit harmful. There are so many different chapsticks out there and lip balms I really don't know which to trust.

Anyone know a brand that is generally good for trumpet players?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Forget lip balm. That is addictive and never lets your lips heal.

3. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    ricecakes..... Having moved to the southwestern Utah desert a couple of years ago, I developed a similar problem. I tried several lip balms since moving here, but on the recommendation of a friend, I very recently tried Neosporin lip balm, available at most pharmacy counters. .... So far, good results. Apply once a day, before going to bed. Could tell a difference within a couple of days but its is too soon to predict long term results. Helped tone and range -- chops were more supple and no chapped lips..... There might be others that are better, but so far I have not tried any that helped my condition as much. Good luck.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is not necessarily true of the OP, but it's worth repeating.

Overuse of lip balm (any lip balm) can cause you lips be become more chapped. Occasional use is fine. We all need help from time to time. But if someone requires lip balm every day in order to play the trumpet, and struggles with chapped lips all the time, they might want to consider this possibility.

Regarding the OP's specific question, is there a good lip balm -- My suggestion is you use the simplest one you can find. Extra ingredients, including those with so-called "natural" ingredients tend to increase the chance of irritating your lips.

Let me add that medically speaking, the only thing a lip balm can do is to lock in moisture, to help chapped lips heal. With few exceptions, most of the extra ingredients are not believed to provide any recognized medical benefit.

What do I use -- Cherry Chapstick. It's a classic. ;-)

Mike

5. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Although I would not argue the risks/benefits of daily use of lip balm with an MD, I would suggest that those of you who have not spent many months (or years) in the desert, with average humidity levels somewhere between 10 and 15% (and sometimes lower), your opinions may be colored somewhat by your local environmental conditions. I can't speak for Ricecakes, not knowing what part of Texas he hails from (although there are parts of Texas where humidity levels are quite low). It is virtually impossible to avoid the drying effects of 309 days per year of wall to wall sunshine on your lips unless you live inside. The southwest is a good place to play golf, however..... but you better have water, sun screen and lip balm..... particularly if you play a trumpet.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with you. And I'm not saying that regular use, or even daily use, is inappropriate. And I'm not saying the OP falls into this category. In the first part of my original reply, I was adding to Brekelefuw's observation about overuse.

I agree with John that your local environment is a big factor. For me, in the cold of winter, I use a lip balm almost every day. In the summer, at the shore, I use it a lot, too. I also use it after a hard gig. But otherwise, I don't use it all that much.

Mike

7. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

I'm wondering about a couple things?:

Have you been playing a lot ? maybe working on range or endurance ? ,maybe you should take a few days off?
    Do you lick your lips while going about your regular daily activities? ,try not too.
    Have you tried to stay hydrated while not playing ? water helps.
    As far as the use of lip balm ,i think as long as you use the cheap stuff i see no way it can be addictive or cause harm ,never used things like chop saver but i hear it's great .

just my 2 cents

Dean_0

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Jiarby's DHC Chop Cream! Arnica Infused Herbalm!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Drink more water, then use ChopsaverĀ®! I've used it for years. Jiarby's product looks interesting but is not yet available in my area. If you dehydrate, your lips will chap more easily. Then add in your environment (Utah), your lips will be in a world of hurt!

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using Chopsaver with sunscreen during the day and a little cocoa butter before bed, and drink a lot of water. Works pretty well for me, especially moving from one climate to another every few years.