The pencil method is bad.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 7, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Maayyte, it's a great place - we even have an animal (a monotrene) with webbed feet and a leathery bill a bit like a cartoon duck, a furry four legged body, a flat tail like a beaver, lives underground in a burrow, searches for food underwater with his/her eyes closed, has poisonous spines on the hind legs of the male, and the female lays eggs. Plus the ten most poisonous snakes in the world and many of the most poisonous spiders and the best sunshine, and bluer skies than Seattle, and loverly Aussie girls. And Aussie beer - and, and, and, .... other stuff.
    Heaven really - except the bit about the spiders.

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    up until the part where you said "loverly aussie girls and aussie beer" i was wondering to myself why anyone would live there!!

i actually sent this pic to my girlfriend last week, she recently spent nine months in australia on a study abroad program.

[​IMG]

3. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    It's not the big ones you have to worry about....
    At least you see them coming.

4. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    What is the 'pencil method'? Anotating music?

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahh too true - members of the Black Widow family (the Aussie Red Back Spider) have to be carefully watched too - these nasty little suckers hide under toilet seats. (Don't be fooled - there not the only ones - the Sydney Funnel Web rears up when cornered, and if you stick one in a glass jar, you can actually here the 'fangs' tinking on the glass as they have a go at you - it's even better if you torment them a bit by shaking the jar).

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008

never heard. And I think it is the only answer you will ever get, because frankly those guys are just talking to themselves. No room for n00bs here apparently.

besides it has probably something to do with pushing the envelope and exploring limits, or simply trying to find excuse for limited range. dunno, we'll wait and see if someone explains...

7. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    The pencil exercise is an isometric exercise whereby you place a pencil in your embouchure and hold it out straight, usually for a period of no more than 4 minutes depending upon your level of development/skill at holding a pencil.

Eric Bolvin explains

Eric gives a pretty good demo/explanation. Personally, I rarely do it as it hurts the joints of my jaw. Some people swear by it though.

8. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    :DActually it is quite simple. The inner carbon portion is initially made of a carbon slurry. This gets poured into a mold. After it dries, workers remove the carbon rod and place them in a wagon drawn by horses. After the wagon is full, the rods are taken to the black forest. The driver is called the lead, as he drives the horses. This is where the story of lead in pencils got started. It was just confused for another word.

The cores, or rods are then placed into small, elongated cavities carved into small black forest saplings. When the saplings reach full size, about 60 - 80 yrs, they are cut down. They are placed on huge lathes, which turn the trees down to pencil size. Many are damaged when they are turned to far and expose the dried inner carbon core. These go to paper mills where the chips are turned to pulp. Thats why you drive a car instead.:D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    edcon1981 likes this.
  9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What is a horse? :-?

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Sorry, my last post was about how pencils are made.