The pencil method is bad.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 7, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wow. someone's been watching WAAAAY too much history channel!! ROFL

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Eggzactly - but how do you get hexagonal ones? :shock:

3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    There is always one from the health and safety brigade. Pencil, matchstick,ballpoint pen, chocolate bar, fork, spoon, saucepan handle for superchops, mouthpiece shank, harmon mute tube, 5inch nail, spanner, screwdriver, hammer, drumstick, timpani stick, violin bow etc................................................................................................... If you are worried about lead poisoning there are plenty of alternatives.

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I use the matchstick...:-(:-):D:lol:ROFL

5. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    I use the ball point pen tube. Of course I remove the inside ink cartridge and cut the outer tube into smaller pieces. The hollowness allows some breathing when I'm trying to pinch the tube and hold it for a few seconds more. I have several pieces of different size pen tubes.

Also I went to the internet and found chopstick.com they have actual metal sticks for this purpose. The weighted set comes in 5 different weights. From thin to thick and heavier. Of course, they have a program for you to go through, but it seems to work for me.

The deluxe set (there's always the deluxe set, yes?) has the 5 metal sticks and included are attachable weights that can be added to the metal stick to give you a challenge...can we hold 'em straight out for one minute? two minutes? How long can we hold it straight out?

check it out, see if this is for you. Chopsticks comes in a nice zipper pouch and I have the chopsticks in there and some of my pen tubes. I have a collection of different things to use. I also have an old mouthpiece in there for buzzing a happy tune too. :play:

When I'm driving for awhile, this pouch goes with me and I get in some exercise....two minutes...three? Oh my let me see if I can stretch it till the Odometer reads 130233...OK that's 2 miles....OH MY! its gonna be close can I make it?????? Stay tuned...

this is fun...

John Mak................Tooting my own Horn.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't like sugar on the chops. It is an irritant that far forward in the digestive system.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Man, you are pretty brave for using all of that stuff instead of a pencil! You must have some awesome chops!

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

Now you know why we are called LEAD Trumpet Players! Slurry sounds more like AFTER the gig though!

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What is a horse?:shhh:

10. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Trumpets are not so expensive as they can pay for themselves if properly used (get an endorsement and they're free). Trumpet players are expensive. We want it ALL.