The pencil method is bad.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 7, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FM,
    click on search here at TM and type in "pencil". You will find ample info to still the quest for knowledge on the use of a pencil! Even easier, look at the bottom of this page - there you find "related" threads!

There is plenty of room for the inexperienced. I think it is not safe though to assume that the experienced players enjoy answering the same question 100 times a year because some are too lazy to look for the easily available answer. Spoon feeding just keeps the newby dependent.

If it was about a gameboy cheat I'll bet you wouldn't have posted in the same way! Next time instead of taking a cheap shot, do a search and post the results. Then you will belong to the "helpers" instead of the "helpless".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A horse is a creature that does not sing folkmusic!

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Spot on! :lol:

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not awesome - awful. The platypus really knock my lips about. :roll:

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008

In general you are right, we should have search function, but I made my remark because it seemed two n00bs were completely ignored, while estblished members continued their small talks. That sort of bothered me a bit so I reacted.

I guess you are the big boss ha.

No problems I'll adapt to the site rules soon. Infact I already made some appologizes and introduction.

C u bye! :-)

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FM,
    they weren't ignored. The difference between a forum and chat is that there is often no immediate pleasure in the forum. Not everybody at TM gets involved with the obvious. Many even avoid it! I try to make sure that nobody gets left out but sometimes I need a couple of days to get in the mood of answering something again that somebody asked the day before.

I am no boss. I have been here a while and have been teaching and performing for a long time. The moderator function is more like keeping good topics alive, steering away from problematic threads and one on one PMs for troublemakers. Keeping TM "clean" and "interesting" is the top requirement.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A horse is a horse of course of course!:lol:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    FM,

As one of those who seem to have ignored your post, please accept my apology. ROWUK is not the appropriate member to field your criticism of me, that's for me to deal with. I've been back to your post a couple of times, and even now I'm not really sure what you were asking. It is possible depending on how silly I was being, that your post could have been a question on the rather infantile discusiion on growing pencils or just as easily been (and I now suspect this to be the case) a serious, but less than specific question about "The Pencil Method".

It is very important to all of us that new members be given a fair go, and it would assist your participation if your questions are just a tiny bit more specific - just so they don't get overlooked again.

My personal intention is to mainatin a sense of humour throughout my posts - just because life without it seems a bit pointless - however I will undertake to be a little more circumspect if you will try and be a little more direct. Keep up your participation, your input, and comment, is important.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bob, that's just the sort of comment I would expect from .... Ed. ROFL

10. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    There are many ways to an end. Don't scoff at anything that may build musculature. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. In my early days I was "not killed" (though only barely) but made stronger many times by methods that seemed strange to me. I never tried the pencil, but we did some similar excersizes. The graphite might make your tongue slick and help with triple tongue technique...LOL, OK?