The perfect embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, Apr 11, 2008.

1. chetlives

chetlives Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Van Nuys, CA
    I don't see the point of playing with the slide completely in and lipping down except to add more frustration to an already difficult instrument with so many other issues.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I've been playing for a loooooong time and I've never heard of this. I don't quite understand the logic and am always wary of someone who says "perfect embrochure".
    There's a couple of sites you may want to check out.
    1)check out Carl Saunders talk about embrochures.
    2)O.J. page on embrochures

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Markie,
    the logic is that a VERY high percentage of trumpet players play with excess tension. That causes them to play higher than the natural resonance of the instrument which wastes endurance and makes the sound "thinner".
    For SOME of these players, pushing the slide in does not make them "lip down" rather play with far less tension (once they get used to it). This is something for the practice room and during lessons, not intended to mess up a rehearsal out of principle.

4. Garyleadandjazz

Garyleadandjazz New Friend

Jun 4, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    It sounds like this student has no idea of what playing in tune sounds like. Try getting him to practice for 10 minutes or so every day with an electronic tuner. Be sure to have him tune in different registers and find a slide placement that works for most notes without having to lip d, eb, and e at the top of the staff too much.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you buy a big brand name horn like ,Sears, WestingHouse,etc. they come tuned from the factory.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    There is no such thing as a perfect embochure. Everybody is physically different in many subtle ways. The closest we get is the perfect embochure for each of us. So, anytime someone unloads one of these homilies centered around the 'perfect xxxxx' you can be pretty assured that it BS....

bigtiny

7. Garyleadandjazz

Garyleadandjazz New Friend

Jun 4, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I know players who lost or gained range by getting their teeth fixed. Dave Steinmeyer, the great trombonist who is retired from The Airmen of Note, gained an octave after breaking his front teeth in a basketball accident. (Kids-don't do this at home!!!) That tells me that there are so many factors to playing that no single approach will work for everyone. Some of the best high range players I have played with have had crooked teeth, for example.

This tells me that range is overrated, (range is what the "perfect embouchure" discussion is really about) a physical phenomenon over which we have somewhat limited control. I like high notes and work on range, but I can listen to Maynard for about 10 minutes while I can listen to Freddy Hubbard, Woody Shaw, Kenny Dorham or Clifford Brown all day.

8. chetlives

chetlives Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Van Nuys, CA
    Having a perfect embouchure, as suggested by McTrumpet, is probably the only way to play those inferior Jupiter pocket trumpets which don't have a tuning slide.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

That´s true, Al, but I´ve heard that the factory
    has had some trouble getting tuned itself.
    Can you verify this?

:think:

10. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

ROFL

. . . seriously, though . . .

You can't have a "perfect embouchure" because everyone's embouchure is different. Same goes for technique. The reason there isn't just one method is differences in embouchure.

If your technique is solid, you should be able to play a pitch regardless of valve usage and/or slide placement, but all this proves is that you're playing with something close to optimum resonance.