The power of music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, May 10, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Nice post, thanks. Your subtitle could be "and the idiocy of war". As a WW2 history buff I've read numerous first person accounts from American, German, and Russian soldiers and there's a common theme. None of them give a sh$% about their countries, about their so called political leaders, etc. They care about their buddies and keeping them alive AND they care about the so called enemy foot soldiers. They realize they've all been rail-roaded to kill each other.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    For what looks to be a pretty old guy, he plays a sweet horn. A WWII vet is pretty old these days and I admire his moxie for playing for me. Now to get him to talk about his GI days, well, thats a different story. EVERY vet I know just cant seem to shut up about it. And dont get me wrong, I mean that in a nice way. You hear stories about the ones who were so traumatized that they never talk about it.....I sure never met one though. Seems that since they retired from whatever they did for the last fifty years they only remember the camping trip they took on Uncle Sams dime. What a story. God bless him for taking his trumpet with him. Best wishes.

3. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    Great job Jack. We thank you for your service.

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I don't agree that none of them cared about their country or their political leaders. We went through a difficult time as a country during the Viet Nam war. You are correct our service members cared about their comrades in battle then as well as today. Probably not all, but most serve our country because of a love of our country and what we stand for. They are trained to respect those in authority whether they accept their political views or not.
    This is a great video. As Memorial Day approaches let's remember those who made us free to express our opinion.
    Bobby

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Very moving indeed. Many thanks.

I'm not sure I agree that this was indeed their strength or that it is such a quality at all. Some Germans involved in the most horrendous deed ever committed by mankind argued exactly the same thing as an excuse. The Milgram experiment has shown that we don't need much "training" to carry on instructions from authority figures.

6. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    Well said, and yes we did care....

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    There is no ethics in war.