The Power of Positive Thought

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    We just buzz our lips in the little end while pressing the right button at the right time and then the beautiful sound comes out the big end. John has got it ! We should shut down TM and all run to his blog so we easily master the trumpet. Why didn't I think of that ?

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    After all, it IS just a glorified, overpriced vuvuzela.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but you did, you did see a puddy tat --ooops!! -- I meant you did see that all along, and you just thought of a way to nullify TM. ROFL ROFL ROFL -- how then could I contact you????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The trumpet is like finding your most perfect mate. The hunt is full of twists and turns, where pain and pleasure is experienced weaving in and out. But once you connect, I mean really connect with that perfect someone, loving is easy, passion is reciprocated, performance is ultimate and forever you will live with a smile on your face. This happens over time, if you let it happen. That is the point I have reached with my trumpet (as well).

[PS: Having a Martin Committee did help the process along a bit]

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Really?? It appears you have not gotten to that Zen place yet OR have yet to find your perfect mate. I don't think about ME when I am playing, I don't think about anything. I let IT happen. I bring in the people in the room, watch the young lady in the corner that is engaging with the ensemble as we play together, look out into the back corner table at the table of three young men, look out into the center row at the elderly man holding his lady's hand... and I play... to them... all of them... and try to connect, with call and response... their response.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I am on stage, I do not "focus" on any of the mechanics. I have prepared and am ready. I am immersed in the musical moment and proper preparation gives me all of the human stuff for recall.

The stage is the wrong place to start thinking about everything that you "should" have done.

If you do what you are supposed to WHEN you are supposed to, you won't have to when you have to.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Whenever I read other trumpet player's thoughts on performance and trumpet playing general, I always turn to these thoughts from a certain man named Bud.
    http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/herseth/herseth_notes.html

There is a not clearly written or punctuated sentence about breathing and mechanics when performing. Mr. Herseth is saying everything should fall into place when the thoughts are on the music. Breathing is not to be thought on when performing. It should come naturally after considerable work in making that "naturalness" integral in performance. Herseth continually points out your thoughts should be on music, not mechanics. There is a very true thought on the fact we never know how a performer is feeling. Sometimes they are hurting or extremely fatigued, yet their breathing and mechanics get them through.

For what it is worth, over 40 years ago - 1969 or 1970, I sat next to Tim Kent in a VERY good municipal band. (Tim did not finish the summer with us). We were both young college students - I was a year younger than he - and it was about this time and he had just began his lessons with Mr. Herseth. Sitting ahead of us in that trumpet section was Brian Perry, who became (and still is) the principal trumpet of the Chicago's Lyric Opera, my own teacher Charles Stine - a CSO extra, a couple of other of Chicago's finest free lance players. I sat last chair and I was no slouch back then. Other sections in that band were well stocked with outstanding players as well.
    RT

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Trumpet playing involves many simple actions. Combining them all to make music is the difficult part, when the notes, rhythms, tempo, and dynamics are all dictated by the written (or unwritten) music. If it was easy, anyone could (and would) do it to virtuosic levels. Like the OP said, though, part of it is a head game.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Herbert L. Clarke said "playing the trumpet is 90% mental and 10% physical. We over think, we doubt, we hesitate. The Trumpet must be played with physical and mental abandon. Nothing holding you back One of the things I try to teach is the habit of experiencing success. Sometimes this means slowing things down so that you play them correctly, cleanly with no mistakes. If you try to play something and you stumble with fingerings, notes or bad support and you do it constantly, you are building the habit of expecting failure.

When your mind and body expect things to work, through proper training, then you can play with a relaxed confidence.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    By the time I get to the stage, I am prepared (to play the song forward, to play the song backward, to ad lib (knowing where and what might sound good), to take the song up an octave or two- - and even down an octave --- to add graces notes, or some extra tonguin --- and when I get to stage --- I try to make the best sound that I can that particular night --- I never have the song -- EXACTLY the way it will be, for when I get to stage it will change, it will be "touching peoples hearts and souls" --- I can tell by their reactions. when they SMILE, or just open their mouth when I hit an appropriately loud low F#, or a riff (lower than they usually hear, or even in the higher range) -----or add those graces note ---- I have only done solos the past 3 years, so I have LEEWAY, and ARTISTIC expression available -- yes, a bit of free reign ---and it always comes out well.