"THE" Practice Mute !!!

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by MPM, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I Have tried every practice mute there is!

Best Of The Pick .... BRASS SPA Practice mute!

It's on the Reeves web site ... www.bobreeves.com ... at $25 +/- it 's the closest to the feel of playing open of anything I've ever found!

Check them out!!!

2. jazzman54

jazzman54 New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    I tried accessories on the reeves page but didn't see it. sounds cool. Id like to learn more. i had a reeves leadpipe swab once and thought it was useless. worked great for the first week. then the thnig started to come apart and do more harm then good. it would leave squeegie stuff all over my leadpipe :evil:

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    BRASS SPA PRACTICE MUTE

Go to www.bobreeves.com ... click on the "V-Raptor" ... you'll be taken to "The Brass Spa". Information on the practice mute is there.

Have you seen the intenet chat about people making practice mutes out of "Renuz-It" air fresheners? They have perfected the idea! It's great & th closest to feeling like playing "open" I've found.

4. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Looks interesting.

5. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    What is it made of? Is it strictly a passive mute?

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i find that a yamaha silent brass in my schilke x3 is still more open that a bach 37 with out a mute...

most of hte time i just use a cup, it makes a fine practice mute.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If I want a really quiet mute, I'll use the Jo-Ral bubble mute with the stem removed. I "might" even go so far as to drap a cloth over it but that's getting pretty extreme.

8. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    BRASS SPA PRACTICE MUTE

"SKIP"

What do you mean by a "passive mute"?

But to answer a question, it's just a light brown plastic practice mute, about the size of a smalll pear! And roughly the size of a desktop "Renuz-It" air freshener.

9. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    By passive, I meant that it mutes the sound strictly by it's own characteristics, as opposed to an ANR (accoustic noise reduction) active muting system, that uses electronics.

I have since ordered & received the Brass Spa mute from Reeves. It showed up in 2 days - great service. It works very well. I don't have anything to compare it to, other than my standard mutes (2 strt., 2 cup, & a JoRal bubble). Much quieter than any of my regular mutes, but I do think that it's a little pricy for what you get (thicker plastic than a Renuzit), but it works.

10. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    BRASS SPA PRACTICE MUTE

Well it's been a while since I bought a "practice mute" so I can't say if it's pricey! I just know that frequently I need to use a practice mute. And yes, this one works better than any I've tried.