The "Project" is done: Arnold Jacobs to go, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ask and ye shall receive...

Glad it worked out quickly.

ML

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Congrats on the project, Manny!

3. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    What are the legal rules for using the Jacobs name? Does Jacobs' widow get a cut?

J

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'll explain, to the best of my knowledge, how this works.

First of all, Gisela died a number of years ago. Dallas Jacobs is Arnold's only heir. Secondly, the information that was used was all freely given with Arnold's permission for the purpose of this work. This is all information that is public and the book is BASED on the teaching of Arnold Jacobs. It's not as though there was a little book somewhere with all his information and it was lifted without his permission.

Imagine you took a lesson with George Vosburgh and you took great notes. You then decided to write a book about the experience and analyzed why it worked. Don't forget that you also payed for the lesson. Your analyses are studied by others and they buy your book understanding full well that you aren''t taking credit for the knowledge. You are clearly attributing it to the person from whom the knowledge you paid for came.

Have you ever asked Brian Frederickson that question? Go to songandwind.com and see the marvelous work he's done as well.

ML

5. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I just ordered two copies!

I can say as a former student of Luis, he is a class act and for me was a fantastic teacher. Manny brings up the example of a student taking great notes. Luis did just that. (I unfortunately did not take such great notes, but oh well). Luis was always able to expain in great detail what some of the great teachers had taught him, and of course he passed this info along to his students.

I am excited about this book!!

6. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. Jacobs passing. No, I never asked Mr. Frederickson the question, but I understand he wrote the book, while Mr. Jacobs was still alive. Mr. Frederickson used to work for the Jacobs, I believe he was his man-servant. I assume he got permission.

I NEVER assumed the info was "lifted" without permission from the Jacobs family, just had questions about using the Jacobs name - if anyone could use it, if you needed permission, etc. So Dallas gives permission to use the name? Anything with the JAcobs name will be a sure-seller among the brass community.

I hope someday I can get a lesson from "the Master" (Mr. Vosburgh.) If I ever do, I'll be sure to ask him if I can write a book about his teaching. I bet he'll want a cut, though........

Happy trails........I mean sales!

J

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, I think writing a book about Arnold Jacobs' teaching method as relates specifically to trumpets would be fairly difficult without using his name. But what a splendid idea... write abook about anything and plaster Arnold's name just to sell copies!

Go for it!

ML

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Jacobs Book

Where is it available on line or through any other venue?

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Is this going to appear in future ITG journals for sale as well?

10. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Just got my copy in the mail today! I can see it's not going to be "library" reading. I do imagine it will become part of my daily practice regimen though!

Thanks for editing Manny, it adds even more credibility to Luis' work for those unfamiliar with him!

Peyton