The "Project" is done: Arnold Jacobs to go, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Mar 26, 2006.

1. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    I've ordered the book (from overseas, thanks to PayPal) and hopefully it is on it's way "over the pond".

When Brian's book, "Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind", arrived, I ordered it and liked it very much. So I asked Brian for an interview (via emial of course since I'm in Norway). He said ok - and you can still read the interview from my trumpet page:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/ntf/jacobs.html

Then some years later when Kristian Steenstrup wrote a book, I contacted him and he told me to get the english version. I did. Then after reading it, I asked Kristian for an interview. Ok' he said:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/interview/teaching_brass/

Now, even before I have read this new book, I've asked Louis for an interview
    and he has said OK.

I'll tell you when I have it up on my webpage. Btw, it will be placed in my Interview section at:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/interview/

Ole

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am really looking forward to receiving my copy next week. In lieu of this, I pulled out my copy of "The Legacy of a Master" and thought I would read it again. I was lucky enough to attend one of Mr. Jacobs' last master classes at the IWBC in 1993. While there I had he and Susan Slaughter both sign the book. I honestly had forgotten about getting this signed by them. When I opened the cover, it all came back to me and brought a huge smile to my face. Cool, huh?

I remember that master class lasting about three hours or more and it was filled to the gills with eager ears and eyes. I was so lucky. I soaked up every word like a sponge.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'm really looking forward to really getting into this book this summer. I've skimmed through it and what I've read is really excellent, although I think it's going to take me a while to really sit down and apply it to my own playing. But that's what summer is for, right?

-Jimi

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I got my copy yesterday, and it was so much more than I was expecting!!!
    I know that I will be re-reading it for years.
    Roy Griffin

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Re: The "Project" is done: Arnold Jacobs to go, pl

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Welcome again, Michael...

Just a tip: to use the quoting feature press "quote" and you'll see the entire text of the post you wish to quote from and you can use your mouse (or the appropriate laptop substitution) to highlight and omit or include whatever part of the text you wish to quote. Thus, the quote shows up in a bright white box and your personal addition or response will show up separately if you write after the "[/quote]" at the end. It makes it quicker for others to find your response.

Have a great time here,

ML

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    " at the end. It makes it quicker for others to find your response.

Have a great time here,

ML[/quote]

You mean like this? Thanks for the tip. By the way, how do you know Luis Loubriel? From his time in Minnesota?

Michael McLaughlin

"The ironic thing is that we are trying to make art on what is essentially a twisted piece of plumbing." Unknown trumpet player

8. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    I've just finished an interview with Louis Loubriel about this great book.

One of the questions I asked, was how the project started:

The whole interview is here:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/interview/loubriel/

Ole

9. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Nice interview, Ole! I received Luis Loubriel's book a short time ago, and your interview motivates me to spend more time reading it.

This is a worthy addition to your great trumpet site. Thanks for telling us about it.

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Lasting Trumpet

I am very much enjoying (and hopefully learning from) this publication. So far I am about 1/3 through it on the initial reading. Excellent material and obviously a "labor of love" for the author.

One question...I have come across several typos and misprints. Who does the proofing of this type of thing? The initial writer? Someone for the publisher? Not complaining...just curious.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida