The Promenade and the quick breath

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by sdgtpt, Apr 25, 2005.

1. sdgtpt

sdgtpt New Friend

Dec 3, 2004
    I just had an idea that was real helpful.... but a challenge.... I hope someone will reply with other ideas to spark some more creative practice...

I was practicing the promenade in pictures working to extend the last note of the phrase and shorten the breath as well...

here is what I came up with....

subdivide the excerpt into sixteenth notes (at a medium tempo). when you arrive at the last note of the phrase play the first three sixteenth notes and take the breath on the last one....

hard...

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Nice!

I made one adjustment and that was to only play 16ths on the last beat of the phrase to maintain the lyrical quality of the phrase. However, the 16ths throughout is a wonderful idea because you have to play with a buttery tongue and a constant airflow in order for it to sound beautiful. The 16ths throughout also keeps the 8ths from rushing.

Bravo! That sucker's hard!

ML

3. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    In the Promenade do you play the notes legato or with a pop to the notes...I'm asking in regards to the use of "buttery" in your last post...

Thanks,
    Jeremy

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

There's a reason I speak in the metaphoric terms I use. Buttery is the result... you're looking for the process. Okay, it could mean different things to different people.

That's the point.

ML

5. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I always thought this would be an easy passage to play - until I had to tackle it for a concert band arrangement last year!

The mental "sound picture" I remembered was something I had heard once before (perhaps it was Herseth or even Solti who described it? I am sure it is a well-known description...) - that is to think of the sound of a piano, with just a hint of an attack followed by the decay until the next note. Sort of like the hammers of the piano striking the strings...

Not that I could actually produce that sound LOL - but that's what I was going for... :oops:

(I'm thinking I heard Solti describe this on the "In Rehearsal" video he did with CSO and this piece...)

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sam Krauss liked to draw verbal images of passages like this one. The tempo, he thought, should be like a leisurely stroll through a museum. He used a "they" sound for the attacks. Sing it though a few times. Don't let technique get in the way of the music, rather let the music tell you what to do.
    Wilmer

7. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think that piano visual was solti to Herseth. I believe i heard that about when Herseth first joined the CSO. My teacher who studied with Herseth told me this story...or at least I think.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That would have been a great spot for Bruno Labate :lol:

Wilmer

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Makes a lot of sense when you consider that the piece was originally written for piano. I forgotten that and it will be useful when playing it in the future.

Dave

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    That was so helpful, now tell me what image you use for the Godenberg and Schmuyle movement.

Dave