The REAL McCoy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fatso DiMARTINo, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
  2. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    EXCELLENT Fatso, I am keeping this one for future reference. I used to play this when I was in high school 60 years ago although not very well. One of my goals as a comeback is to try and play it again.
    Do you know how he did the "hiccup" sound?

3. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Glad you like that, Bruce! OK, the hiccups... You know, Bruce, that's one of those tricks that's easier played (though not easy) then explained! Let me think on how to put it into words. And while I deliberate over this in my chambers:-P, perhaps other members might have suggestions.

Good luck in picking up the horn again. I think you'll find playing again, at this later stage in your life, to be even more rewarding than it was back in high school, because today you are 60 years wiser and richer with life experience and maturity. The whole reason you're wanting to play again is you're feeling a whole new awareness and appreciation for the trumpet, I'll bet.

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    wow, that souds really awsome!
    How the hell does he do that....

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    VERY nice!

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    SOunds like he is doing a very fast fall from high up for the hiccup.

7. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    DUTCH, they call him corny, but I'll be damned if ANYONE has ever copped his details and nuances. Many cats stick in a Harmon wow and think they're doing "Sugar Blues." Sounds to me, Clyde developed a specific technique for his patented sound. He was a master at what he did.

And thank you, gb.

Brekelefuw, I think you got it. When I read that, I immediately thought of Conrad Gozzo. One of his signatures was to smack a high note, then he'd heave out the remaining air with this short fast fall that sounded like when one expells breath after the strain of lifting something heavy. A very "human" sounding touch. So, yes, I think that's it. You hit the note then start a short, fast accented fall from about a third or so below that main attacked note. And that's usualy done with a dotted eighth / sixteenth rhythm (with the main note being the dotted eighth and the fall being the sixteenth).

Leave us not forget--and I hate to mention it--Clyde had variants of this technique that could sound like a baby wimpering too.

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    does anyone have sheet music to this piece (with the effects ect.) ?

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    [​IMG]

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks a lot!
    Does the Humes & Berg pixie mute fit into the bell all the way?
    in that case I'll be ordering one right away.
    now all I have to do is find the sheet music for an ensemble or band or something...
    (does anyone have a link or something to wher I can get the rest of the arrangement?)