The REAL McCoy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fatso DiMARTINo, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Hi Dutch...the Humes & Berg Pixie will do it. They also make an even smaller one called The Glenn Miller Tuxedo Pixie Straight specifically for use with plunger (note: does not play in tune below low C). But my personal recommendation is...

NEW lightweight Silver brass trumpet mute - eBay (item 280398170236 end time Sep-23-09 07:38:25 PDT)

"Baby" Pixie sized, smaller than Pixie. Yes, Chinese. They ship real fast and these mutes play GREAT. Real brass mutes. Cheap, too. And they play in tune all the way into the low register, when you have the mute deep into the bell (where it needs to be for plunger work). I love mine. Here's another...

NEW lightweight Silver brass trumpet mute - eBay (item 300348903894 end time Sep-27-09 22:37:58 PDT)

Click the ask-seller-a-questing link, and offer him $10 / free shipping.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the link.
    I looked at the mutes, and noticed that they look a lot like regular straight mutes, SO... I picked my (dennis wick) straight mute, and put it in my trumpets bell, and guess what... the plunger still closes the trumpet!

I'm just wondering what the difference in sound is between a pixie mute and a (DW) straight mute.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That recording is amazing. The band guys (in both versions) had some pretty mean licks of their own. Clyde must have taught some others a few tricks, as well. But, to me the most amazing thing is that he could play that one-handed with his pinky finger hooked under the leadpipe rather than in the ring. I have big hands but when I try to play like that, I can't even raise my fingers enough to let the valves come up all the way. He had some incredible dexterity with his hands, lips, and tongue to do all of that.

4. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Well, those Chinese brass mute are BABY Pixies--even smaller than Pixies...real small, like the ones that were made in the '20s. For all intents and purposes, the Chinese ones are to me reproductions of the old mutes, and dirt cheap, as they are selling at promotional prices right now.

My outlook is, one can get the plunger wow sound sound in a variety of ways. But the Sugar Blues sound had those whimpering baby tones to it. I believe that a Pixie, which is quite smaller than a straight, helps get that sound, because while it sounds similar to a straight, it does have a smaller, almost childlike sound to it. Remember, also, the shape and depth of whatever you use as the plunger greatly affects the tone.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I use a plunger :D
    only problem with those mutes you showed me, is that shipping costs more than the mute itself...

EDIT:
    just wondering... what number does the tuxedo pixie mute have? (the regular pixie has 112)

6. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Check those links again. One seller starts at $0.99 with $12.80 shipping (to US). The other seller has Free Shipping for the $16 mute (which as I say, I think you can get him to go for $10 and free shipping). These are also being made in the US but the prices are way higher. Buy from the Chinese and get great value for a real brass mute in polished brass or nickel finish. I'm not plugging them. It's just that real brass mutes aren't made much, let alone the tiny Pixie. I bought one and am completely happy with it. Only took four days to get here.

The Miller Tuxedo, I've seen at WWBW.com or Music and Arts for $11. But it's of course wood, number 122. I tried to unload a photo, but, just as a simple Avitar is impossible to add, so are photos, apparently.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Maybe the video will create enough interest in learning to make a similar sound that someone can order a container of those for sale to wannabe Real McCoys.

8. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Hi, Kid... Don't think I haven't thought of it!;-) See, he Chinese sellers don't know how to market that mute, or even how to correctly title the listings so as to get max views. I suggested they simply call it what it is, a Pixie, as there are actually only a seldom few that show up on eBay, but...:dontknow:

9. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    anyway... I'll first try to actually play the song, and if I really like playing it, I can always get one of these later. For now I'll use my straight mute and plunger.

10. Fatso DiMARTINo

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Yep, master the art first, I guess. Make sure you get all the McCoy details, like those double tongued 32nd grace notes he plays as the pickup to the note on beat 4 of the 2nd bar.:-o It's a bitch.