The "Real" Music World

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Musician4077, May 25, 2005.

1. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Hey guys, I'm kind of disillusioned right now. I was reading the Mohan thread in the "Steel Cage Match" section, and I posted my thoughts on how unprofessional the whole thing was (please see my post there if you're interested, I won't repeat the whole thing here), and I was very quickly attacked. Is this the life I'm getting myself into? Is there really so much politics and backstabbing in music? And if so, why? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of playing music?

Jeff

2. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Sorry for my latest rambling, but I guess it just ticks me off when people act unprofessional.

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Jeff,

Don't worry about it. That is the steel cage.

Don't give up on your dreams just because some people act like that. Keep being you and you will shine!

Lara

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Jeff, I think that you will find if you stick around a little while, that it sometimes seems as if we all take things a little too seriously.

What you have witnessed over in the cage is something that has spilled over from another web forum, and has a long running history. (3+ years) I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just come on over and talk trumpet. :-)

As for whether or not this is the way it is in the "real" world of music, not that I have ever witnessed. If you roll in to the gig on time, musically prepared and with all the gear necessary to do the job, and you have a positive attitude, you won't ever have to worry about it. While I'm no crusty veteran, I've been playing trumpet more or less non stop (with one break for about a year and a half) for about 24 years and I have gigged since I was 17, and this has been my experience.

Internet forums on the other hand....sometimes the written word comes off much more harshly than the writer intended, or it gets misinterpreted by the reader, and then all of sudden you have an argument.

Like I said, don't worry about the Cage so much and just come on in and talk trumpet!

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    This board is a cross section of the entire trumpet world, all the way from high school students to top pros. So not every one will share your view of what professionalism is or should be. Also notice that the person that attacked you was the only one that posted what I would consider an unprofessional post. The rest of it might be heated discussion, but is pretty civil for the world of internet forums.

Don’t take this so seriously, this is only an internet chat board.

6. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Musician- I think what you are seeing in the Cage is what Patrick said, an argument that spilled from another forum. Also, it's more or less all new people to TM. If you stick around outside the cage, you will find that the majority of posters here are very kind and honest people who treat eachother with respect. As for the guys in that war in the Cage, they won't stay long. They will realize that nobody really cares and will move on to the next forum.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    M4077,

Come now... you couldn't have read very many of the threads that people start in my forum and believe that silly arguments are what the business is about, could you? If you need an antidote just read some of the stories I've written about my job or colleagues. I think you'll find a little more positive vibe than bickering in the Cage which was designed with that in mind.

ML

8. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Mr. Laureano, I'm stalking you this evening! :-o

Jeff, I'm going to be frank [nice ta meetcha!]. You were attacked by a resident troll, probably a zit-faced bubble-head teenager who listens to Rob Zombie all day and has nothing to do but pretend he's somebody that he could never be by his own self-prophecy. His attack bounced off you like a fly, and he only made himself look like an orse.

The truth is though, you will find people like that in the trumpet community, few and far between. Usually, some punk, maybe not even a kid, will hear you play and tell you that you were the worst SOB he ever heard play. He won't show you how to do it or offer you advice, because deep down he knows he couldn't hold a match to you in terms of skill and musicianship. Usually, I'll just laugh and offer the man a free drink. :cool:

9. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Musician 4077,

I have to sit by someone in a band or orchestra a long time to find out what his religious and political convictions are, for example. I never found much time for chit chat during a rehearsal or performance. We had time to do that kind of thing back in high school and college to a lessor extent, but when someone is paying you to sit there, concentrate, and pay attention it's a different world. I have to agree with the above post about getting to the gig with all the right equipment, on time, and prepared to play your part as being dominating factors as to how you are treated by other musicians. I guess, if you're on tour with a group, it's a different scenerio, but in the kind of playing I do, I don't have to associate socially with band members, except during rehearsals and gigs. Those are controlled environments. If I think someone is a jerk, it's really of little consequence, unless he interfers with the ability of the group to perform. After the gig he goes his way, I go mine. I don't remember seeing too many lingering disagreements, if any, among musicians that were job related.

I have lived and worked with the same group of people for extended periods of time in overseas job assignments. And personalities do conflict, when one does not always have to option of avoiding a "jerk" at will. But that situation is not confined to the music industry alone. That's just part of life, and a person has to deal with it.

When looking back over my musical experiences, I'd have to say that way over 90 % of them have been enjoyable experiences. I won't touch on the auditions and tryouts for positions, and some of the animosities that can result from those activities. Those are part of life also, but I personally did not fine those very enjoyable.

10. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Thank you all for your support and kind words. I really do appreciate it. And Mr. L, I do love your posts. You are an example of why I do love music and want to be a part of it for the rest of my life, and people like you are the ones who inspire me most.