The rewards of trumpet practice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm new to it all, i've been teaching myself for just about 2 and a half years and i started off playing chromatics from the C under the lines and worked up to middle G and then lower to low F and got all those notes relatively easy. Then there was a little struggle going up with A and B and C. (Looking back i wish i had started with the G and pushed up and down from there), now im working up above c with D E and F and my goal is the G on staff which about 2 months ago when i started climbing those notes were out of my reach, but now after a little discipline in my practice/improvement Those notes have fallen into my grasp and im just trying to hold them now as long as i want. (at this point i am not really looking to go up further, I just want to master and be confident with this range) I just want to say that the reward from trying to hit these notes which seemed impossible to me, but then later after some dedicated practice, they just almost majically just fall into reach, makes me happier than a pig in Sh*T. That to me is the REWARD, and if more people actually tried to learn an instrument they would undoutbtly have much more respect for musicians today and music in general, watching artists on screen or live they make it look so easy!!

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I agree with you...
    Practice is a miracle! It is great when you can do something now that seemed impossible a couple months ago.

A tip... record your sessions now and then so you can really compare. When you play something for the 1st time record it. Then later you can REALLY be awed by the power of practice.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I am glad that you are so happy. Congratulations on for feelings of accomplishment. Playing the chromatic scale and working up and down, pushing in both directions is exactly how I got started. Not knowing what your practice routine looks like, if you are just beginning you really need to balance things out. I would recommend the "Rubank Elementary Method" which had self-contained, progressive lessons of what you should be practicing. Always leave some time for sight-reading and making music, too.

Final thing. I, too, thought the trumpet was something that I could teach myself. I was dead wrong. Try to see if you can take lessons from someone.

Best wishes for your continued success.

BrotherBACH

4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Someone said learning/playing the trumpet is a life long journey and i can definatley see that, cause the rewards from the progress give lots of inspiration and motivation to keep going. I know this might sound "old" to some of the pro's on here who went through this years ago, but i bet they still get little "wow" moments now and again. i guess what im saying is its kind of spiritually rewarding.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The better you get on the trumpet the more you realize how bad you suck.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'm not sure that's a "reward of practice". Tis true though.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am a physician. I find the reward of practice as gratifying as putting my patients' lives on a healthy course to improve their life's quality. Practice is the reward I give myself to improve my life's quality!

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Practice is definitely a double edged sword in my book! The more you realize you're "getting closer" to the unattainable goal, the more you want it! But that's not always a bad thing, and bringing music into others' lives is a great thing =)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never reaching the goal to achieve perfection, IS the goal; because once the goal to perfection is reached, the quest ends, and perfection is a never ending quest. This is the meaning behind my saying: "Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?" The answer is: "So we well never have to succeed at achieving perfection."

Disclaimer: For everyone other than Kingtrumpet, think and reflect carefully for what I have just posted... For Kingtrumpet, just move on... hate to see the mess if your head should sudddenly explode trying to figure this out!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I think younger people practice with the belief that it will all be over some day... at some point in the future they will be so good and their burden will be eased.
    It is just as hard keeping the knife sharp and free of rust as it is getting it sharp to begin with, maybe harder.... because the expectations are higher.

Same thing with education... kids think learning ends when they finish 12th grade. Nope... that's when the education STARTS! LOL!