The rewards of trumpet practice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    If you thought THAT was great... OP: I completely agree about how cool it is to have those notes come easily after dedicated practice. And I think trumpet, and all brass, are particularly "magic" in the sense that there are only 3 lousey buttons and yet just by thinking about it (and eventually not even thinking), you get different notes with the same fingering.

The even greater thing, IMHO, occurs if you get into jazz improv. Way back I used to be a pretty accomplished sax player. I remember one particular improv I did, to this day. The combo was cooking along, and during my improv I got the distinct feeling of being able to think the music into existence. I literally created the exact music I was thinking and wanted to hear. It was as if I wasn't even there but instead was listening to a tune whose music changed exactly according to what I wanted it to change to.

That little music nirvana happened only a couple times for me. I'm sure the real pros experience that constantly during improv. Anywho it's something to strive for, that complete physical freedom "iceberg" us beginners only touch the tip of.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    In keeping with the OP success -- congratulations Newbie. I think the next goal will keep elevating you to a further expectation of what you can achieve on the trumpet with diligent practice, intelligent practice (not pushing beyond what you are able to do), and a goal.

Disclaimer --Kingtrumpet does not need to reflect carefully -- Kingtrumpet already knows when he has practiced sufficiently to be distinctly better than the day or week before, then consequently the following week his progress will either be -- BETTER, OR WORSE, OR NEARLY THE SAME -- and that is a fact!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL