The right equipment for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 29, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There are a lot of threads on here about the right equipment.

For years I played a Bach ML 37. When I bought it, that was the trumpet for me. I thought mine was better than everybody else's trumpet. You know, all Bach trumpets play differently and I got the one they made the right way. After years of playing on it I started hating it.

Then I bought a Monette. Dave is a master trumpet builder and if there were problems, it had to be on my end, right? You know, I don't play on that trumpet anymore. I still play on a Monette, just not that one.

I went to a students house the other day. He pulled out his new (used) Bach 37. The first thing I noticed was that my mouthpiece bottomed out. I could tighten it in there but it's obvious that the gap needs adjusting. I played the trumpet and "surprise" it played OK.

Our bodies are constantly changing. We are just as big a part of the equation as the trumpet.

I played a job a while back. I was playing first and the guy playing second was a guy I have known for years. Usually he plays first. I don't remember why but, I didn't have the Monette and I was using my Bach. The second player told me he thought I sounded better on the Bach. Is it all perception? The second player was using a Getsen Eterna with a shallow Jet Tone. We were playing for an outdoor concert with a pops band.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:
    Questions like, I'm going to get a Monette, what do you guys think? or, I use a LOUD mouthpiece do you all want one? or, Will playing the Bach get me into the NY Phil? are not answerable. Just play, Play what is comfortable and works for you..

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Great post!

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    B15M, you are so correct. For years I too played a Bach 37, with a 3C mouthpiece, then a Bach 43, and a 43 Sterling bell. Now my favorite horn at the moment is a Conn 48B Vocabell with a Monette B6. At this time, this combination provides all the response and feedback that is comfortable for me. Don't get me wrong, I still like my 43 Sterling bell, but the Conn seems to be a better fit for me at this time!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To make it even more complicated: Music is a moving target. 1 size horn does not fit all.

Most of the questions about mouthpieces and horns come from students that have not spent any time researching or from comeback players that when they last played also never spent any time this way. The questions are phrased in hope that someone will recommend the holy grail - even although any player that has done a minimum of research knows better. This "demand" to be spoon fed is something very common to this current internet generation. From heart disease to game cheats, google it and you will be an expert. I guess we just have to accept the fact that most are happy with what they are told. The markets appreciate the ability to manipulate their purchase decisions.

I have been here a while and think that most of my posts are taken seriously. It would be interesting to randomly pick a mouthpiece and write a "holy grail" review just to see how much blindness is really out there. I am SOOOOOO TEMPTED!

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rowuk, go ahead and do that!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I think the only caveat to "play what works for you" is for players who are taking auditions in the classical world. In that realm, it's important to be a team player and no matter how comfortable you feel on, say, a Monette Ajna, it'd be unwise to audition with that horn if you are hoping to land a position in a group that plays on Bachs and Yamahas.

Personally, I've been finding that I've played for years on mouthpieces that were too large for me. Since I've dropped down a few sizes, everything in my playing has improved, including tone. It was a mistake to think that I needed a 1-size mouthpiece to get the sound I wanted, and stuck with it for 20+ years. Doh!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would venture to say that the saying "play what works for you" is mostly major BS. We see it here with the recommendations when someone asks what to buy. These recommenders do not have a clue. They haven't tried enough different things for a long enough period of time to get acclimated and really judge the performance. Anything that deviates from what you are used to will not get a fair shot. We measure success in months not hours. A music shop play test is essentially meaningless.

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Well [email protected] was playing what worked for me and I thought a Bach 3C WAS the Holy Grail........I am sooooo depressed. :-? As a comeback player of three plus years now, the hardest thing was to forget all I thought I knew from before and start from scratch. I got to tell right now, ALOT has changed in 28years I was gone.....and alot is still the same (like who can play the highest :lol:).......bests, chuck :cool:

9. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Exactly!
    That's why I recommend smaller than average mouthpieces (diameter-wise).

:thumbsup:

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    There is no holy grail when it comes to mouthpieces, but In my position as a comecack player with a nice horn I am about to embark on a quest to find the right one for me.

My cornet mouthpiece I've played since I was 7, I am more articulate on it, the range is less than my trumpet but I expect that, It is deep with a relatively small diameter. I can't even tell you who made it the only letters a G22 which mean nothing to anybody.

However my, I think sensible, Holy Grail is somehting that brings the two closer together. Not a magic fix. I have had some comments by PM from a different thread but please don't think I am after magic relpies here. (I am leaning towards Stork but we'll see)

What I believe adds to the problem of people asking for mouthpiece recomendations, certianly in England is the lack of anywhere to go and try mouthpieces out, even so called good music shops are not staffed by experts to give advice on ordering (in one shop I was asked by an assistant what the difference between a Cornet and a Trumpet was!)

With this in mind I would think people turn to the experts on here for advice to use in conjunction with the internet I am faced with a cross country trek to try some mouthpieces out. Not something I mind but with 7 music shops within 45 miles it is
    anoying. I appreciate that it irritiating to be continually asked the same question over and over but I can't really see a fix

Sorry I am rambling and venting a little but....

Cheers

Andrew