The right equipment for me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 29, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Whatever ROWUK plays - I'm on it!:-P

2. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Gerry Schwarz played on smaller equipment than avg. ie, M bore Strad 37 with a 5C mouthpiece and I can't recall any complaints on his playing.

I agree that "one size" doesn't fit all and that goes for equipment. Although not all opinions have the merit of some of Rowuk's, we are entitled to them nonetheless and shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. This is a public forum. No reason why opinions can't be expressed freely regardless of our personal opinion of their merit or lack of merit.

Yes Rowuk, you have been here awhile, and most of your posts may be taken seriously but you seem a bit severe sometimes in your criticism's/observations to those "less capable" in their thought making process. Asking for feedback may or not be a search for a Holy Grail, silver bullet etc., but allow the inquiry. Some like to criticize Bach's and Yamaha's for perceived lack of consistency or sound in the latter, but others have had success on each of those brands.

Some participate here for fun and amusement while others offer more educational informed opinions. I think that there is room for all of the above. I couldn't agree more that a test of a horn in a music shop or at a NAMM convention is a poor way to properly evaluate a horn to see if its "right". Honeymoons periods vary in their duration as do marriages, so time is the test.

Its all good.

3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I love the first post, the questions cannot be answered. For myself I sometimes love my horn and other days it drives me nuts but slowly and surely I have come to accept that the key to consistency is in the mind, not the horn.

One more thing, I have never met someone who bought a bad Bach, considering how inconsistent and bad some of them supposedly where there should be a huge stock somewhere of unused Strads;)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tom,
    you are right. I played Ives Unanswered Question recently. I should have gotten the message.

One of my major beefs has nothing to do with the question though. It is the brand blindness caused by the answers........................

5. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    Back a bit to the thrust of B15M's original post...

I'm kind of a "lifer" in my most important decisions -- joyously married for 32 yrs., playing Reeves mouthpieces for 34 yrs., and I got a great horn 12 years ago and just keep trying to improve using it. But I sent my horn to Reeves for valve alignment, and boy it sure has been fun playing my wife's fine horn for a couple of weeks!! (She won't play for a few more weeks while she rehabs after rotator-cuff surgery.)

But I expect that when my trumpet comes back I'm going to love it more than ever and here's why. I'm sure I have changed a bit over the years, but some of my "change" was probably partly stagnation. When my horn comes back I think I'm going to discover new ways to approach it, just because I've had a vacation from it and had the opportunity to hear something else by playing a different horn. By changing horns for a brief period, I think my physical and auditory perceptions were turned up by the small yet sometimes startlingly different colors and response characteristics of the trumpet I'm borrowing.

Maybe I'll even try my son's Yamaha before I get my Bach back!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    Great answer!
    Wow, so Ives is performed (and popular) in Europe? (okay with me if you provide another clever smartypants answer)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, a couple of years ago there were enough Europeans on the left side of the ballot rooting for Variations on America............. With the recent games that GM has played with Opel, there are even more!

Yes Charles Ives is a live and well in Europe. He is a true alternative to all of the "standard" stuff that gets played because it sells