The RIGHT grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, May 15, 2011.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The fact that you apparently put your left pinkie in the third slide ring suggests that you have pretty small hands. I don't consider my hands to be huge (though admittedly I do buy XL gloves to get sufficient finger-length) and I don't think I *could* comfortably put my left pinkie in a fixed third-slide finger ring and play.

I was taught that the "classical" grip involved putting your left ring-finger in the third-slide ring, and operating any first-slide intonation adjustment with your left thumb. My first good trumpet was a Selmer K-Modified with a first-valve trigger and third-slide ring, so I dealt with the ergonomic situation you're talking about. And I was taught to put my right thumb between the first and second valves. Somehow I managed. Honestly, the only time I ever needed to extend both first and third slides at the same time was to play a low F with all three valves.

I've long-since changed my left-hand grip to the "Vulcan" style: two fingers on top of the third-valve slide, two below. This works for me, whether I'm playing my Olds Recording with a third-valve trigger or a trumpet with a third-slide ring.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I don't claim to live by this advice, but my elementary-school band teacher instructed that the pinkie-hook (aka "octave key") should only be used during page-turns and mute changes. At all other times the pinkie should be on top of the ring.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm struggling with a mental image here - any chance of a photo showing the RIGHT grip.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Is the RIGHT grip so RIGHT for a LEFT-HANDED trumpeter ? :dontknow:

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Perhaps think of it less as a grip and more as a hover?

--bumblYbee

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    With the "right" grip, I can play higher!;-)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am assumming that your hands are no where near the scrotum when gripping to achieve a higher range. Right?

Wow, can you believe with this comment I have become a mezzo forte user.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Nevermind...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    PMSL. ROFL

And I thought you were just quite loud. :roll: :evil:

I had several trumpet teachers 30 years ago and they all taught me to wrap the right thumb round valve 1 and use the pinky hook. I did start at age 8 though, so maybe it's a bit safer for kids to hold on with both hands?

The suggested method of dumping the end of your thumb in the gap between valves 1 & 2 feels very odd to me, but I can see how it might improve finger/valve alignment. :play: (also helpful if you have a slide 1 trigger, I guess).

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is correct. Singing however is another subject!:lol: