The RIGHT grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, May 15, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's pretty close to my set-up. I get better dexterity with my thumb between 1st and 2nd valve casing as shown.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Though a bit younger than Wilmer, I was also taught to put right thumb between 1 & 2. My early trumpet had no slide rings/saddles so I have had to learn that as an (older) adult. It is finally becoming a habit after a few years!

To the OP - Steve, the concept of a trigger on 1 and a ring/saddle on 3 is an enigma for me. I cannot do both at once hardly at all. Triggers on both so you can squeeze them together or independently is no problem. That is how my Sovereign works, and I find it easier than 2 saddles/rings.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In reality, I have never understood the "logic" of a saddle and a ring together. If both have to be used, you have to lighten your grip of the horn. I usually see this combo on "jazz" horns. How many "jazz" players you see that use the slides at all?! Personally like the 3rd slide ring you pull instead of push away from the horn (Olds Recording?). I find most slides get used in legit work, not jazz (unless one has a slow ballad type solo).

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ya, me too! Although I pitty the person that has to be subjected to my singing in ANY range.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually I do use the 3rd valve slide ring quit a lot on my Olds Recording because it is so easy to use (and I keep my slides greased very well for a crisp return). I love the horn for this reason (and the offset 2nd valve). I must admit, I would use it rarely if not for the trigger device.

I chose my 4-valve Getzen Eterna for the same reason. I am an intonation stickler and that 4th valve really does do the trick, and having the action of a valve makes this fast and easy (easy after spending a few weeks re-learning the NEW fingerings once the 4th valve is engaged).

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    [​IMG]
    Ambrose Akinmusire ... Bad picture, I know ; but all the fingers of his right hand can be seen.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always toyed with the idea of modifying my main horn(s) to that 3rd trigger configuration. To me, it's just the most logical/efficient way to construct for that slide. :cry::cry::cry: Purist would not approve, I'm sure.;-)

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Yes, and per your statement focusing below the waist as it were, your name should be mgonady:roll:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So you picked up on that! I have tried to hide that connection for years by placing my middle initial m between my first name initial and last name ever since my frat brothers kept calling me gonad-y. For the life of me I could not figure out why the adapted this name until one day I opened the fridge and literally saw the light. All my food I labled with GONADY and ever since, the M comes in between.

So out of respect for the past, everyone reading this post, please do list me as gmonady. Thanks!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I thought it meant GotMOreNADY in reference to your occupation (you know, like Seymour Hinee, the inventor of the mini skirt).ROFLROFL