The RIGHT grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, May 15, 2011.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, I remember 2 books I read years ago, The Open Kimono by Seymour Hare and The Yellow Stream by I.P. Daley.

Getting back to the grip I've always placed my right thumb under leadpipe between 1st and 2nd valve as per many have stated, although for effects such as lip shakes and mute/derby holding I'll place the thumb against the 1st valve casing for a surer grip.

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Dupac, that answers my question nicely - that about how I address my trumpet too.

3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I do that often when I'm misusing my pinky-ring saddle octave key!:thumbsup::play::-?

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for the posts guys. Again, I can easily see how the classic right hand grip with thumb between 1st and second valve casing worked perfectly with the the older horns where there was little room on the front side of the first valve. Those early horns almost forced you to put your thumb there. And that seems to be the classic position that is taught today (for all of the good reasons that were given). Yet, the wider wrapped modern horns offer more room on the first side of the first valve casing, so quite a few folks have moved to putting there thumb there (touching leadpipe and thumb pointed toward bell). While not lining up the fingers over the valves as the classic grip does, it does wors for playing solely with the right hand (come on-which of us has never done that -and who would have ever told Maynard he didn't know how to properly hold the horn?).

The 1st valve slide trigger along with a saddle or ring on the 3rd slide is an enigma. My 991 Kanstul (semiclone of a Connsetellation-yes one of the most famous horns in history) has that, as does my Kanstul 1500 -though the trigger was a custom job I just can't figure out how one would ever push the trigger while throwing the 3rd valve slide at the same time without being a contortionist. What were they thinking? Having never used a first valve saddle in my training, I just started throwing the 1st trigger with my right hand as I play in the altered positioned of thumb around first valve. Anyone else do this?

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I was very surprised finding this picture because it's exactly my grip too. And I have seen some other pictures of Andrea Giuffredi showing him with the same grip also. So we are at least four famous trumpet players doing this… :lol:

tedh1951 likes this.
  6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Keep in mind that Akinmusire is shown playing a Martin Committee, which has no saddle, ring, or trigger on the first valve.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'm not saying it's ergonomically good, but my first trumpet was a Getzen Capri and my second was a Selmer K-Modified -- both with that setup. Keep in mind that the only time you should really need to extend both slides at once is to play low F with all three valves down. For any other situation you only need to either extend the third slide or squeeze the trigger with your thumb.

With most left-hand grips, it seems like you should have one or more fingers wrapped around the third valve casing, either above or below the third-valve slide. And that should give enough resistance to push against to squeeze the first-valve trigger, while leaving at least one finger free to extend the third-valve slide. Again, the only reason I ever needed to do this was for a trumpet trio arrangement of Bach's "Air on the G String," which for some reason features the stunt of playing a low F in two of the parts.

All that said, I had a trigger installed on the third slide of the K-Modified I now own -- dual triggers does make more sense.