The right thumb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 17, 2013.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I have to laugh when we are talking about right and wrong. As long as a finger, any finger, is available to push each valve button when called for, I think your doing ok. For what its worth, my right thumb tip touches the first valve casing dead center just under the lead pipe. That gets my fingers in line with the valve tops, with enough arch to push straight down. That works for my man-hands. Whats comfortable for you? Try a few varriations and deside to use one. Change things up after a while. The comfortable, useable right way will find you! My right pinky goes in the hook, but as far as supporting the horn, the left hand would be up to no-good if it had nothing to do. For quick page turns I simply apply my stand partner. I learned long ago not to try anything funky when putting in or pulling a mute, I value my horns too much to scratch or dent them with a mute or stand....If need be, I drop out and do it right. Luckily it is rare that a composer requires impossible mute changes. Consider yourself lucky that you have (freakishly) small hands that you didnt take up the barisax or string base or such that requires long reaches to get the notes needed. Best wishes.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I suspect Gary is a little jealous. :-)

I keep my right thumb between the first and second valve casing. And I keep my right pinky on top of the pinky ring. The reason I do this is to keep my hand as close as possible to anatomical position. Put your hand at your side, and relax it. Note the relaxed position with the natural curve of your fingers. That's how I try to keep my right hand when playing.

Of course there are other ways to place your hand. But think (... well I hope ...) that this position gives me the most dexterity.

Mike

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Guess it is sort of like handwriting. Remember the days when the elementary teacher made you form each letter to look like the model taught. Now go look at your writing. Very few of us stayed with writing the way it looked on those letters that were always above the blackboard (remember those?). Anyway, trumpet is probably one of the instruments where the holding position is easily taught. Remember getting some beginning violin lessons many years ago. The teacher was very insistent on how to hold the violin. Seems like when we had the quickie lessons on woodwinds, it was the same.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my thumb is on the lead pipe -- or slightly underneath it --- and that works for me.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My right thumb may be on the top of my trumpet / cornet leadpipe momentarily, but I ask WHY it has to be anywhere.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    They should be attached to our hands. If they were attached to our feet too, we'd be violists.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sometimes they take the big toe, and use that as a thumb transplant -- but I have never heard it the other way around (big thumb being a toe transplant) ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Touché!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've worn of the silver in the "right" spot and the digit stamped into the casing is fainter than the rest. Started moving it around and found a little more dexterity under the leadpipe and more range :)roll:) wrapped around the 1st valve. Whatever works for the situation is okay.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Then, shouldn't that be "Touchy"? BigDub... We need an Editor check on Aisle 3!