The right thumb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 17, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The right position for your right thumb is wherever you feel comfortable with it. Anything else is b#*+###t.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In fencing (escrime), when a fighter is hit by the sword of the other fighter, it is customary that he says "touché", which means "hit" in French. French words have become international in fencing, as the Italian words in music.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You're absolutely right, and is also used in street jargon to mean "Right On" (target). I was Captain of the fencing team in college, and had some matches while in USAF, only to be challenged to a bout of Kendo where I was beaten silly. Seemingly, the rapier has disappeared from the sport and all that is left now is the foil and sabre (saber). I do prefer the Italian grip of the foil over the French one. Great exercise to strengthen the wrist and legs. Learn to sit without a chair, ha! ha!

Dupac likes this.
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When I think of fencing I think of barbed wire. When attaching barbed wire to a wooden post using staples and a hammer, the thumb position of the left hand is very important!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A tough job anyway you look at it, but I positioned my staple at the end of a magnetic rod. Others I know held them with pliers or tongs. Now I see others use an electric stapler powered from generator mounted on their Jeep/suv or atv. Too, now they dig the post holes with twist drill on the back of their tractors powered from the PTO, put I did it the hard way with the double blade "shovel". Woe be you when your staple cuts the wire and the taut wire becomes and air snake that bites hard.

Today, I couldn't lift a coil of barbed wire, thus I'm not going to be doing that kind of fencing any longer. Well, too my days of sport fencing are just memories also.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I use both hands on the hammer and get my assistant to hold the staple. He IS a bit touchy!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My answer now is that I'll pay someone else to do the whole job while I sit, watch and sip my coffee.