The road chosen; but not by those taking it

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, Jun 24, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
  2. st. paulitan

st. paulitan New Friend

Jan 15, 2005
    Minnesota, USA
    Could this be the type of case we look back on as having opened a Pandora's box of seizure of private homes? I was very surprised to hear this outcome and thought that this cannot bode well for those in a similar situation as those homes will be destroyed. Developers may sharpen their lookout for modest homes in scenic areas and then dangle a prospect or two in front of a strapped local government in order to raise tax revenues.................

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Folks, this type of seizure of property is already being done in a majority of states. All that the decision today does is make clear that (according to the U.S. Supreme court) the constitution does allow for this type of taking. But, the decision will be at the munincipal level----not at the Federal level. This decision will, I hope, serve as a catalyst to get folks off their derriers and involved with local politics.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I saw that article yesterday also. Figuring it was US politics though, I thought I'd stay out of it. Pretty darn scary stuff! Since when is it government's responsibility to determine that one non-government organisation's (the developer) rights are more important than the individual citizen's rights? I'd be spitting mad if that happened to me.

What is it that they say? The tyranny of the majority vs the rights of the minority? (Yeah, I hacked it but you get my drift).

5. st. paulitan

st. paulitan New Friend

Jan 15, 2005
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey Tootsall,

Remember that, to quote Calvin Coolidge, "the business of America is business," and pesky impediments to developers such as homeowners may now be more easily removed. Forward into the 1920's!

6. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    No doubt that what appears to be detrimental on the surface, is actually a boon to civil liberties beneath the surface. The U.S. Supreme Court in its ruling gave a general okay, which only reinforced the local laws, but left a great deal unstated. The "Due Process" of any action taken, especially in the Fort Trumbull section of New London, will be placed under an electron microscope for any faults. If any are found, then rest assured that the issue will again be before the Federal Courts. I have a feeling that this will only be the tip of the ice berg!

7. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    This has been happening in Indiana for years. I have had several friends who have lost homes when the airport decided to expand [even though they lived around 5 or 6 miles away, flight path and such]. They usually give you several offers and if you don't accept they condem the property and low ball you. I also had a friend here at work that had a natural gas well on his property [ ran everything in his house off of that well, had a commercial generator to make elect. ] and when the energy crisis hit in 79 the feds came out and capped his well. old geezer Dave