The Role of Self-Awareness and Concentration During Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 13, 2005.

1. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I often practce without anything written in front of me. My instructor has told me that as I warm up, I should concentrate on making the best sound of each and every note I play. This philosophy carries over into my performances. I will always close my eyes, open my ears and heart, letting the message of the song speak to me.

I noticed this weekend as I performed my sound was clean, crisp and bright, notes were centered and resonant. The first song I played called for an Eb3 from a slurred C3 and I nailed it! The second song I played required several slurred octaves and I nailed each of those! All my music is memorized so I commit fully to the sound and the message, it makes a HUGE difference!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sorry guys, I wasn't ignoring the great stuff you posted up here, I was just gone all weekend at a dance competition for my 8 year old daughter. That was a very interesting experience all by itself and I'm going to post about some of the things that I observed there.

I took my trumpet with me so that I could practice and I have found that I am really hitting a great point of focus and concentration during my long tone warm-up where I am focusing on sound and just relaxing into what I am doing. I try to just let the sound flow and not to force anything - so far so good! :)

I find that if I can get my mental game together that I have a much more productive practice, and I hope that this is something I can maintain over the coming days, weeks and months. I am finally starting to get to a place where I have some specific goals in mind for my playing and I have started to put together a plan in my mind for what I am going to do to improve upon those things so that I can achieve those goals. The way I see it, getting my head together and really becoming aware of my relationship with the trumpet and how I sound while playing is going to be one of the biggest challenges.

Any thoughts or ideas?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    tpter1, that article by Jon Ellis, "THE TAO OF TRUMPET, AND OTHER (SLIGHTLY) EASTERN THOUGHTS ON OUR WESTERN INSTRUMENT " is fantastic. It is much better at explaining a concept that I had sort of come to on my own, and it expands a great deal on some related things that I hadn't given a lot of thought to.

For everyone that has participated in this thread, ignore my feeble fumblings at trying to explain it and just go to the link that tpter1 posted because it did a far better job of explaining it than I did. I'll reiterate it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/bach1c/trumpetstudio/tao.htm

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Trick- Glad it helps!