The Room

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gms979, Nov 7, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The best practise room is no room at all. I am originally from Cuba and the guys there love to practise in open parks and stadiums. Arturo Sandoval used to do this religiously. There are countless guys that have Arturo's sound and power there and they credit a great deal to practising outside.

I used to practise in a farm under a Coconut tree in Cuba. Since moving to NYC I have had a difficult time finding the same practise situation!

2. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    When in college, I practiced outside two or three times a week (the rest of my practicing in the empty halls or practice rooms.) I loved the fresh air and the sound. It seemed different for me than a dead room. Anyway, I miss being able to do that.

Joe Lewis

3. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    I do almost 100% of my practice in an echoey, concert-hall type living room with wood floors, so playing in practice rooms and shoeboxes is sometimes very akward.

4. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    When I'm at I practice in my living room which is fairly large or my bedroom which is 15x12. At work I play in an unfinished room that is approximately 25 x 25. It has a concrete floor and unfinished ceiling and sheetrock walls. It's pretty loud. I work in the Semiconductor industry while I'm getting my degree. I'm known as the "trumpet guy". We might be the only wafer fab in the world that has Purcell Sonatas and Charlier etudes as elevator music :lol: .

5. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I practice in the largest room possible.

Normally this is the choir room; or a highschool gymnasium turned into a band room.

I pretty much loathe practice rooms.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Practice rooms

As a youngster I sat at the upright piano in our living room to practice because the music stand built into the piano was convenient and the resonance within the piano was fantastic. Later, in high school, I practiced in the school auditorium- GOOD acoustics, or at church in the main auditorium- large church,monstrous auditorium, seating over 1000. In the military at San Diego Naval Hospital I used the nearby base chapel for the majority of my practice. Now that I have comeback to the horn and because I am crippled up with advanced arthritis in my knees and hips, I find it easier to do my daily practices in my office,( converted bedroom in my home), It is the typical 9x12 room, so sound bounces arround pretty good. It works for me.

OLDLOU>>

7. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    my practice room

I am pretty much confined to the back bathroom with both doors closed and with a cup mute in! But I am used to it and keep a full, open sound. Occasionally I pull out the mute to make sure my intonation is ok since the mute can change things a little. Another advantage is that the throne with the lid down (!) is just the right height & no slouching! Plus, it keeps the peace in the family. I mean, let's face it -- good trumpet practice routines are pretty awful to listen to. -Ken