The Rubank books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 7, 2013.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    What do you guys think about the Rubank books. There are Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced. When I was in school band, we started out with a series called "Best In Class" when we were absolute beginners, then moved on to just doing music we were going to perform, along with some warm-ups and etudes as prescribed by the director. I didn't have private lessons, well I think I had a handful but not a regime.

But I was the music librarian when I was in high school, and I discovered these Rubank books by finding a really ratty copy of the Intermediate method for French horn (which I was playing then). I checked out the book and worked through it on my own, along with the recital music I was practicing for university auditions. After the Intermediate, I picked up the Advanced. I will admit that most of it was beyond me.

I have since bought the whole set for French horn (these are in storage) and I think I've bought it for trumpet before, but I have no idea where they have gone. As part of my come-back endeavor, I picked up the whole set once again for trumpet, along with a new shiny copy of Arban. The books have just arrived, and they are just as good as I remembered.

Everything in the Elementary one looks like I could sit down today and play it again. The range isn't too bad and the music is relatively simple. I think these will help tons with my tone, and just having face time on the horn.

The Intermediate book starts to look challenging about halfway through. There are lots of lyrical studies, duets, and technical things, as well as lots of scale studies, lip slurs, etc.

The Advanced book looks wicked! It has 32nd notes!

I am excited to work my way through these books, and I wonder what you guys think of them. The one thing they don't seem to focus much on is high range -- I don't see many notes above the G at the top of the staff. I think that's also the kind of notes you see in most non-solo wind band music as well.

If you could get through the Advanced book and be able to play through all of the exercises with a reasonable amount of beauty of tone and technical accuracy, I reckon you could play most of the music you'd ever see in a wind band setting. But I'm prepared to be wrong. :play:

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I had the set of Rubank books when I started trumpet 27 years ago, worked through most of them, If you have a good command of the Intermediate book you should not have any problems with a community concert band.

Regards, Stuart.

3. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I used the Intermediate book in middle school along with Hering's Etudes. It was a pretty big change from the Breeze-Easy books I'd used in 4th and 5th grade, but pushed me along pretty nicely. I've re-purchased it for my (far too slow) comeback, and enjoyed the memories.

Enjoy!

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    When I started, my first was "A Tune-A-Day". once I commenced lessons, Rubanks, and then into Arbans. as far as I got lessonwise:oops:

5. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I rarely use the Rubank books when I give trumpet lessons. They move too high too fast--I don't think 5th and 6th graders need to be playing F's and G's on top of the staff. Very few can, anyway.

6. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I still enjoy playing from the supplementary studies rubank book. I use it for face time and some technique. I start at # 1 and keep the horn on my face for as many of them as I can. My favorite is #27- kind of a theme and variations thing.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I used the Rubank Elementary the first six month or so of my comeback. I did a lesson a week with a teach. I loved it! Each lesson is self contained working all the things you are supposed: long tones, slurs, time signatures, plus a melodic piece so you do not forget about playing "music". I have the whole Rubank set but after I finished the Elementary, I was moved to Herring's 40 and other material from Clarke's and Don E. Johnson's book.

I would have no problem sticking with the Rubank system especially the advanced books give you a specific study outline. Can't beat that. There is also a study outline for Arbans by Prescott which is excellent.

BB

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The great thing about the Rubank Books is that you can follow the chart at the beginning to get your workouts, vitamins, and all that stuff without the need for a personal trainer. The Arban's books invites us to start at page one and follow, which is not nearly as much fun.

9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    i believe the Rubank books were originally for adult beginners. They progress a bit too quickly for my 5th, 6th and 7th graders. I use the Belwin Student series and Breeze Easy methods. I am not a big fan of band methods.

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think you must be right. They assume you can read music too. And yeah they go high fast.