The Saint-Jacome Manual

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ebjazz, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hello trumpet players;

I am happy to announce the release of
    The Saint-Jacome Manual. ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: SAINT-JACOME MANUAL
    A 63 lesson course that takes progressively through the entire Saint-Jacome Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet
    For those of you familiar with The Arban Manual, this will be a welcome addition to your library and practice.

*Each lesson is a well rounded practice routine
    * Progressive lessons for easy development
    * Build a solid foundation and technique
    * Unlock the mystery of Saint-Jacome
    * Available in print and pdf
    * Only $12.95

Here is an excerpt from the introduction:

Saint-Jacome’s Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet has, along with Arban’s Complete Conservatory Method, been a staple of trumpet practice and pedagogy since it’s inception in 1870. Most serious trumpet players are familiar with the duets of Saint-Jacome, which are considered to be some of the finest ever written and many have played the etudes. But when it comes to the remaining 300-plus pages of the Saint-Jacome, most trumpet players have not scratched the surface. While most trumpet players have spent a considerable amount of time working from the Arban, the Saint-Jacome collects dust sitting on the shelf.
    Why has the Saint-Jacome taken a back seat to the Arban for over a century? The reason is quite simple: organization. The Arban is fairly well organized by type of exercise and study, while the Saint-Jacome is seemingly put together randomly. The fact that the book has never been edited properly doesn’t help either.
    That brings us to the purpose of the Saint-Jacome Manual: To bring order to the chaos. To give the trumpet player a day-to-day plan for practicing from this great book. Each lesson is a balanced, complete practice routine that will take you progressively through the entire Saint-Jacome Grand Method. Good luck!

Read the whole introduction and download two FREE lessons here:
    ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: SAINT-JACOME MANUAL

Thanks!!~

Eb

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The St. Jacome book has been my favorite for at least 35 years. Absolute KILLER duets! I think he also coined the phrase "velocity studies".

Eric is right about the organisation. It was designed to be presented by a teacher that knows the book inside out (it is a "conservatory method" after all.

I am sure that master Teacher EB has unlocked the secret of optimal use.

ebjazz likes this.
  3. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Rowuk!

Eb

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That book is one of my biggest influences..I use to play it with a kid who could really really music... I didn't know much more than the right button to push ... spent an entire summer and school year in it...

5. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Good luck with it Dave!

Eb

6. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    this is fairly amazing. i came across this post when googling st jacome's. their is such a dearth of information about how to use it. i have been intrigued by the st jacome book but have had no clue how to use it for some time now. looking through the method, i can tell it is amazing, but i never made it past fiddling around with a few exercises here and there. i'll work out your samples for a week or two and check back. thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    OK. Good luck. SJ is a lifetime of work!

Eb