The Scherzer Review

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Before I begin, let me talk to you all a bit on...

SCORING

I start all scores at 8. I do not like giving anything higher unless it is TRULY deserved, but if I even halfway think something needs a lower score, I will drop a grade quickly.

For reference, these horns I would give the following overall scores:

10- Stage 1
    9- Olds Mendez/Kanstul 1503/Bach Strad (Blackburn pipe)
    8- A "good" Bach Strad/The Evola
    7- B&S Challenger/Yamaha Xeno
    6- Olds Ambassador/Couesnon Lafayette/Holton Collegiate
    5- A "Bad" Bach Strad
    4- Bundy II
    3- Blessing Student Line
    2- Band Now Trumpet/other cheap horns
    1- Same as 2

This being the first large bore I've played, it was truly an experience learning how to correctly produce a likeable sound. I had to focus a whole lot more on accuracy, as well as control. This horn made me work for it. I played only on this horn for five days straight, and when I started going between this horn and the Bach, I immediately noticed I could play my Medium Large bore horns NOTICEABLY better!

Yes, this horn will most definitely get a good review, so if ya don't want to read all I got to say about it, there you go! However, I would LIKE to think I have a lot of good information to share..

Of course, that will be tomorrow. Its time for me to get some sleep! So, till then...

Van

2. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    APPEARANCE

Clear lacquer body and silvered valve slides. The horn reminded me a lot of a larger-looking Kanstul. There was something about the horn that was real different, and at first I couldnt put my finger on it. As I said, the horn looked HUGE, and I could tell the bell especially was much larger than anything I had ever played, which was exciting. I've always seen myself as a big bore player (Me being a bigger fellow myself), and have always loved that HUGE sound you can get when the wind and the lips are moving the sound through the horn JUST right!

As I said earlier, I just couldn't put my finger on what was *SO* unique, and different about this horn. It was my trumpet instructor who finally pointed it out.

"The throat of the bell is huge!"

THAT WAS IT!!! :D

The bell is very large, but what really makes the horn different, is how open the throat (Where the bell starts flaring) is. It almost reminds me of a Tuba bell, how the bell is so large compared to the flaring metal. VERY VERY open. You can see almost completely to the crook.

SCORE: 9/10

Would have given a 10, but I am still uncertain about the valve block. Which came first: The Scherzer, or the Kanstul?

(Continued..)

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Mechanics

The 3rd valve slide stop really looks built into the horn, and is actually difficult to detect. I at first thought there was no stop system for the slide!

The valves were not as fast as I wanted, and I actually think the valves were fit a bit too tightly.

The slides were perfect, in my opinion. Smooth, not slippery, movement. I am really starting to like inverted tune slides, btw.

The valves bottom and top caps work and feel a lot like a Kanstul, which is very nice.

SCORE: 9/10

(Continued)

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Intonation

Average. This will probably be the most contested score. Some of the probelms I encountered with the Scherzer may have been due to the large blow. I'm not certain. Sorry.

Score: 8/10

Sound

Loved it. Real open. Took a lot of work, lot of lipping where I wasnt used to normally, but the sound was worth the effort.

Broad, open sound, even when playing soft.

No, not even a twinge of brightness. Its the darkest-sounding trumpet I've ever played. It wasnt fluffy though, which was strange. I always expected trumpets, when reaching the "uber-dark" point, would lose all of its trumpet-characteristics. This trumpet still had a trumpet timbre. It was "crisply dark," I guess would be the best description of it. It is unique.

When you pushed the sound, GOOD LORD! The horn starts vibrating, giving this HUGE, BROAD, VIBRANT sound. Of course, with all the extra air required, I couldn't maintain the bigger sound for long, haha.

It could be played delicate, of course, but with the large bore sound, its like a bear sneaking behind trees. Pathetic analogy, I know. This horn demands to be heard, and even when barely vibrating a note, it was much louder than other horns getting pushed the same way.

I am wondering what other players own this horn (Theres only 50 of these out there). I would really expect to hear this horn in a symphony, especially for a soloist trumpet.

This horn made you work for it, but when you did, it rewarded you with a sound unlike any other. Very very nice work from Meister J. Scherzer. There should be more of these in trumpet player's hands. Its nice. Very nice.

SCORE: 10/10

OVERALL: 9/10

Van

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    While I'm thinking about it, isnt there someone here who owns a Scherzer pic?

Van

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I own a Scherzer G piccolo - awesome instrument.
    Which model are you doing this testing on?
    Did I miss the most important detail?

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I missed that too...

8. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    It is a Large Bore Scherzer Piston Bb trumpet.
    1 of 50 made.He never made anymore of these.There are only 5 new "old stock" pieces.Very rare instrument.

9. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    wasnt one of them on ebay.co.uk the other day?
    dave

10. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Not that i know.
    Who would put this horn on Ebay?