The search for the right mouthpiece...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Apr 25, 2007.

1. nate_trp

nate_trp New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    washington DC
    I think the best thing is to find a mouthpiece that works in general for everything. for playing forte, pianissimo, marcato etc. and both classical, jazz. A universal mouthpiece. What kind of trumpet do you play? sometimes the same brand in mouthpiece is what works the best with the instrument. Myself I play regular 3C, works well as a universal mouthpiece.

2. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    I play a Bach Strad, and I just feel that there isnt a single mouthpiece that can encompass the extremes of what I am playing at the moment - I use the symphonic 1 1/4 C for everything and it sounds lovely in orchestras, but I have a real hard job trying to squeeze out some of the notes way beyond the stave required by my jazz bands...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a tough call as Bach does not have anything shallower with that rim. It is nominally 17 but has a different shape than the 1D rim which is also 17. You should not assume that the same rim with a shallower cup will work - until you have tried it.
    I have ALWAYS used a smaller mouthpiece for lead work. In my Bach mouthpiece days it was a 10 1/2E and a 1 1/4C with no problems switching.