The secret to playing high notes.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jun 1, 2009.

1. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
  2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Wayne,

Enjoyed your wonderful website and performances. You've got talent for sure! Thanks for sharing your gift of music to the world. Appreciated how easy it was to access your beautiful trumpet playing

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Much appreciated!
    WN

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Wayne,

Why don't you tell us about your breathing for high notes? Different people seem to use slightly different approach....

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    What I will say here is my opinion based on 50 years of chasing this question. It is only my opinion and what works for me. Everyone needs to find their own way.

The concept of breathing starts in your mind. You must have an idea of what it should “feel” like before you start. Important word here is “feel” like. The common psychological perception of breathing when it comes to trumpet playing is that playing the trumpet and especially playing high notes is hard…it is! Therefore we want to make it look hard....”look how hard this is”. You think it’s hard therefore you will make it look hard and consequently it will be hard. This creates muscular tension. Any muscular tension you create when playing will translate into a “stressed “ sound and no endurance. Watch other athletes perform. My favorite example it watching Roger Clements pitch a 95 mph fastball. You think he is tense when he is having a good night? I don’t think so. Trumpet playing is no different than any other sport. To play trumpet you must be an athlete. I like to compare it a worrier, a gladiator. Remember this, trumpet is mentioned 64 times in the bible. I think we have a responsibility, don’t you? Back to breathing. Correct breathing is about the inhale and the exhale. Most importantly about the inward and outward air pressure. It should be equal. Most often we put too much air pressure in the exhale. In other words we try to “muscle” the trumpet. You cannot “muscle” the trumpet. It will always win in the end. You need to find a balance between the inward and outward air pressure. This is a “feeling” that you must discover for yourself. No one can give this to you. Once you discover it, then through daily practice you can recreate the “feeling” hopefully with consistency, especially when you are under pressure. Without this getting too long, let me say that to understand how other top athletes do what they do, is no different that what we are trying to do. I cannot fully discuss this topic here because I need to get back to practicing. All I can say is relax and let the air do the work.
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Revelation 8:6... My gaming name used to be the TrumpetAngel, lol.

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the secret is don't play em. Only trumpeters care about high notes.

(I can play triple c, btw)

8. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Does that include Gabriel ?
    WN

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    LOL, awww, be nice Trent! If I didn't play 'em, I'd be out of a lot of jobs! Course, if other people didn't play them, I might have a lot more gigs.... hmmm.... interesting.

Ok, ok, so is a triple c above DHC which is like 6 ledger lines above the staff, or is it like taking the equidistance from the high c and multiplying it by.... just kidding. I'm in a good mood today, lol.

Bear

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Great info. Thanks so much for sharing. For me, the best way to play high is to not even try it anymore. lol.. Sounds like the hardest part about playing high is trying to read all the ledger lines.