The Shame... (Writing down fingerings)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Same exact thing happened to me with my first piano teacher. It's like having paint by number- fine if that's as far as you want to go....I didn't learn my trumpet playing with fingerings written in- a world of difference. I am only offering my opinion and this is what happened to me, it may work differently for others, but I can't begin to imagine how you would do some of these intricate runs and fast playing if you have to look at the fingerings. That's all.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I really don't think any will acquire the ability to perform "intricate runs and fast playing" in the initial first 3 years of learning to play from the 5th grade up, and perhaps not in high school band either. Yeah, I know there are exceptions to my statement but they are few and far between ... and I haven't heard of them.

Well, just because I could play Flight of the Bumblebee in less than a minute doesn't really say I achieved "fast fingering" ... just that I played it ostentaciously and IMO incorrectly, albeit it was a fingering and lip - breath control exercise. Certainly, no fingerings written on the music I played it from!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The finest music is written in pencil. I prefer prepared with markings to bigmouth with nothing behind it every time. Considering that Arban is lesson material, I think a bit more effort should be spent on knowing the fingerings though.

I consider the Arban book to be inappropriate for fingering markers. It is a bit more "advanced" in my opinion!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Anyone who has ever composed or arranged certainly will agree with what you've stated that I now bold enhanced. It's just durn difficult to erase pen when the notes just aren't right.

I may mark my Arban's (or any other music) with penciled breath marks, but that is all. Too, even these are subject to change from time to time.

Too, I concur with you that Arban's is so "advanced" that fingerings should not appear written in it.

5. Overtones

Overtones New Friend

Oct 24, 2010
    I wrote down fingerings to the exercises and etudes I already went over with out fingerings to
    see how I play tonight. I will try the exercises and etudes I have not played without fingerings first.
    Then I will write down the fingerings because when I review the next night I will not have to struggle
    trying to read while playing it again. Right now, I am just listening to a recording of the exercise and
    then trying to play it. I am only playing from the first studies.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't understand that statement at all considering that there are many masterpieces which are printed and certainly other worthy compositions existing in pencil which might be excellent but which, nevertheless, don't supersede many masterpieces. What are you implying between the lines of your statement? Are you referring to the added (e.g. Pencilled-in) phrase markings, articulations, etc that would be added to the printed music?

Ed Lee, you can take a crack at this too, since you added bold to his words.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Overtones
    winners never quit, and quitters never win --- We have all been frustrated with one part of the trumpet or another. When I first was learning the trumpet I carried a pencil with me to remind me of fingerings and such -- THERE IS NO SHAME IN THAT -- Learn the scales, especially the chromatic scale ---- and try not to overly frustrate yourself, or get discouraged!!!!!!!!!!!

8. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    All well and good, but if my back hurts this bad at 26.... i'm not sure i want to be around at 46.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the way I took it.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Me too!