The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Nah, He didn't like no stinkin' trumpet players, or anyone else for that matter.

2. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    .......other than take up clarinet...............?

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    This is a recipe for disaster....

bigtiny

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    "Just remember, no matter good you get, no matter how good somebody else tells you you are....there's ALWAYS somebody, somebody that you'll probably never hear of, who's better. This goes for everyone..."

--- from veteran trumpet player/mentor at a jam session when I was 15. Great 'swelled head' control...

bigtiny

5. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I know all of the arguments for competition in music and reject them. One of the finest trumpet players in Nashville is a self taught amateur. His tone and technique is not flashy or polished but he plays every importunity he gets. It doesn't matter whether it's the National Anthem for the Sounds (Nashville Sounds Baseball) or just a party where he works he's there with his trumpet. He loves to play and people love to hear him. He communicates. Whose the best? Who cares.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think you misunderstood the post. Your saying the same thing.

7. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Yes, I was agreeing with you. No, I didn't misunderstand the post. I'm adept at reading in fact I was able to pass the Bar exam.ROFL

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It wasn't my post

9. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Exactly right. I stand corrected I wasn't agreeing with you. Rather, bigtiny. It was bigtiny's post that I understood quite clearly and bigtiny with whom I'm agreeing. But it was you B15M that quite mistakenly suggested that I didn't sufficiently understand bigtinys post. I hope this clears everything up.

B15M likes this.
  10. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Are you certain? Nice people can get pretty boring. But a great horn can hold my attention for years!
    Does anyone know if King Oliver was a nice guy? How about the horn that faded into the past as Oliver took the crown, Billy Sunday? How about the Jellyroll? Was he a sweetheart or did anyone give a hoot when his piano shook the windows open?