The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    How about if it's framed this way - if you're at the top, you can be an a$$hole and get away with it. Otherwise, you will lose work to hose who aren't a$$holes. A competent player who gets along with others, and who others like to be with, will work.

2. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Over a playing career that spanned about 40 years I have dealt with all kinds of personalities. Some pretty unpleasant people got a lot of gigs because they knew when to turn on the charm. A lot of really fine players got ridden like dogs by these same folks sitting in the section. Playing music for money is a rough game. Nice guys don't always finish last but jerks do not necessarily get penalized for abominable manners. I don't play out much anymore because I don't enjoy dealing with cheap shots from players who think that putting someone down is the way to bolster their act. A long time ago (in the 70's) a Cellist in the New York Phil described the games and backbiting and ego projection that took place in her section. For some unfortunate reason playing beautiful music, for the most part, is not a beautiful profession. If I were asked for advice, which I rarely am, I would suggest that players find a niche that they love and develop an ensemble where they control personnel.

3. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I wish that I could say that I have never seen a negative side to more than one musician. But that stuff goes on in all trades. I think most musicians are a cut above the general public in their relationships with other players. When something bad surfaces it is usually caused by hard times money wise. And some suffer more than others. The black folks that brought jazz to life led difficult lives as a rule. And more than one had issues with dope or booze but in general they were wonderful guys. When one considers the nonsense that someone like Louis Armstrong had to put up with it is a wonder that he was such a polite and friendly old fellow instead of a man seeking revenge. The trick is to take history and put it to use and try to make sure that musicians who want to play are helped along rather than beaten down as they often were in the past.

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Think about music, not just the trumpet-and practice, practice, practice!

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    glorybe, how right you are about those old church halls. My sound was never better.

6. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    something that was just posted in another thread..

7. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    12 pages have been filled with some great advice, but I feel no matter what, just enjoy it. Have fun. Play because it is fun. Practice because it is fun. It is so easy to get caught up in the technical, or the financial aspect. But why did we all start playing, or start playing again, or buy numerous horns? Why? We LOVE it. So love playing, enjoy it.

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    The best piece of advice ever?

Probably "rest as much as you play" when you practice! Since that advice it seems I was able to progress much faster... it's only been three months, though.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm gonna second that. Especially on trumpet it seems like it's so easy to overdo practicing (I'm still an 8 month newbie). Kinda similar is don't play too loud when practicing. This one surprised me, seeing pp so much in the method books, 'cause you very often hear trumpets being played LOUD during performances (marching, big bands, etc.).

10. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Works for me too- but then I always knew I was lazy!

Actually, I have a bit of trouble with this one. Whenever things are going well I tend to keep playing until they aren't- then I rest.