The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    "Always play like someone important is listening."

2. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    We have had a good number of posts on this thread....very thought provoking..

I was encouraged to see the depth that Manny goes to in his forum on what seemed a very simple statement...."Strength is my enemy, weakness is my friend"

Please keep them coming...

Walter

3. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Several great insights (to me) have come from James Thompson. One is to play the notes one at a time -- in other words, don't let the high note coming up on the next 1/8 note change how you play the note before it.

I've applied this idea with a lot of success. Whenever I have trouble with a note (whether it's high or not) I focus on the note before it, and on making that note perfect. Almost always (OK, always) -- the note I had a problem with pops right out - because it is coming off of a perfectly centered, resonant note.

Galen

4. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    "Stay off the gas until you need it"
    -Jay Saunders

5. ABCgirl

ABCgirl Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    The most memorable thing ever said to me about playing was my uncle's advice: "Playing trumpet isn't that hard. You just blow, tongue, and wiggle your fingers." As I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, it was a great outlook. When I'm concentrating too much on getting everything perfect, it usually works better if I just follow his advice.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    That rings very true of some advice from university (given by the string tutor during a performance assesment class). He gave the same suggestion, to play the notes one at a time, but he was advicating it as a way of avoiding the domino effect should anything ever go wrong - if you do make a slip or mistake (which, let's be fair, we all do at some point) don't dwell on it - once it has left the instrument there is nothing you can do about it - concentrate on how you play the next note, don't worry about the splat you may have just made.

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    It's like Bach said about the keyboard: "It's really quite simple, you just hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

Michael McLaughlin

Without music, life would be a mistake.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    All the notes are in there, you've just got to find them.

Especially useful when dealing with younger players taking their first steps into the upper register - if they don't believe you, take their instrument and prove it:cool:

9. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Would loved to have heard Bach (composer) have a go on the trumpet!!!!......Was???? no black and whites here???.......it's so much easier to say when you know how.

But of course quite often we do over complicate..............[​IMG]

Walter

10. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    The best trumpet advise ever. I am not sure if I have any as good as yours but.

The best horn players can only play a few notes, and still make every one amazed - Mr. Doyle, Jazz Band Director (Pianist), I also got the same quote from my dad who is a guitarist as well as my private instructor. Best peice of improv advice I EVER recieved, it doesn't hold true on all instruments.

Worst advise:
    Your out of tune. Change your embroucher - Dylon

Second Best advise:
    Every note should be a new adventure. - Mr. Doyle, again Jazzcentric

Every day Best advise:
    Loudness is not the same as full.