The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. rdtpt

rdtpt New Friend

Dec 18, 2006
    Florida
    In a word "Practice" :-)

2. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    "Practice" wow that is amazing advise (not being sarcastic). I never thought of it as advise more of a logical step, but ok.

3. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    "Music is for listening."

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Many people have told me to "sing with the horn" at various times in my life. I never really quite understood what that meant. Then I was playing duets with Richard Steffen one day in the early 1990's and he explained (indirectly) that it meant to hear in your brain what you wanted to come out the end of the horn. I guess to most of you that seems obvious. I had been a good trumpet player mechanically for years, but struggled with musicallity and intonation. I would listen all the time and adjust. Then I discovered that if I just got the tubeing of the horn close to the right length and audiated (sing in your brain) things pretty much took care of themselves. I've also discovered that conversely, if I get distracted and stop audiating, I get myself into trouble spots.

5. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    "Focus the air at your lips."

I'm not quite sure what it means, but if I am having trouble air, I think this to myself and it works wonders.

6. k0elw

k0elw Guest

"Make it sound like a trumpet!"

-Ellis

7. hsa-arch

hsa-arch New Friend

Mar 30, 2004
    New England
    The best advice I ever got was from my college days, "play pretty"... I think Doc is a prime example, even when he's pushing the limits it's always damn pretty.

8. TrumpetJimmy

TrumpetJimmy New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    Jacksonville
    Play the notes to their full value.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The black is the notes and the white is the page

10. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hi Mike

When I first started trumpet playing my teacher talked about singing through the horn by thinking the sounds in your mind......I tried to understand but found it hard to connect it to my playing...

Lately I've been thinking about it more and trying to connect the two...it is helping.......since your post I have wondered if a trumpet players ability is limited by his ability to sing! What about improvising ....?

Walter