The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Shermy, I like your suggestion but I'm also aware that the quality of the recorder and speakers will certainly be misleading as far as tone, but I can see it as a valuable tool for everything else, and I'll be using my cheapy recorder more.

2. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    It is not a quote from any one of my trumpet teachers that has been the best advice I received about playing trumpet, rather it is a quote from Miles Davis in a documentary about his life. He said "it takes a long time to play like yourself." That quote in itself has inspired me to keep practicing and playing, and critically listening to myself; and one day, hopefully, I'll play like me.

John

3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    The best advise I ever heard was in a lesson with Vince DiMartino. Now, even though I didn't study with him very much on "Trumpet playing" we had some musical lessons. Referenceing his routine that he gives his students he said to me, "Here, this is what I have my students do. If you do this and only this you will sound like everyone else. If you do this and take everything a step further you will be that much ahead of the game."

That concept has applied to so much more than trumpet playing. That was a real life lesson.

Later

4. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Having never had the opportunity to play professionally, I needed a job to get regular money to play the rent, 10 hours a day etc. I often got frustrated in my inability to practice as much as I wanted and consequently my lack of progress. I had considdered giving up till I read this, GRACE IS THE KNOWLEGE THAT IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO START OR BEGIN AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT, SO LONG AS YOU ARE IN THIS WORLD. Now at 35 I am practicing 2 -3 hours a day (even while looking after too young boys both under 3) playing in a great wind band and conducting a young Brass band. I will probebly never play professionally but then again I have a lovely horn and I don't really like using the word never.

The quote was from Wynton.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    "Maybe you should think about playing the clarinet"

-cw-

6. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    you need too many fingers

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    ROFL Chuck,
    I hope this was not your trumpet teacher's advice to you...That is not very motivating....wondering what a clarinet teacher would say to his pupil...thinki of playing the triangle? ROFL

8. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA

then the percussion teacher would suggest that he conducts!

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Oh, gosh!

Richard

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Work hard but be patient. Everything happens when it's supposed to, if it's supposed to".

W. Vacchiano