The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I had to think a bit because of so much. Probably the best is; "Everything you play must be musical, whether it is flexibility, scales, clarke studies, etudes, or long tones, there must be a musical purpose behind it."

2. Grav

Grav New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Rome, Italy:New York City
    Maybe not directly related to music or trumpet per say, but it came from my private teacher prior to my embarking on my musical journey more than 27years ago. He told me simply-- "Stay humble". And when I apply that to music or any other part of my life, things seem to fall into place.

Ciao -- Andy G.

3. cleflyer

cleflyer New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Cleveland
    In a strange way the best advice is the opposite of practicing. When practicing one often gets frustrated when things aren't going well so I always remember that a teacher once told me - "Know when to stop and take a break to change your mental state - don't come back until you've calmed your mind"

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I studied with Keith back at Northern Iowa, I remember several such quotes that work great as an immediate fix!

He told me he'd rather have a few less high notes and have a better sound rather than sacrifice sound to do something that would gain more high register. Smaller equipement, whatever. That took time to sink in, but I really see that now!

Thanks Keith!

5. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    "Remember young fella', a drop in the bucket everyday will get you there."

Also, "Being a nice person is more important than a being great trumpet player."

6. lemons

lemons Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2006
    From Bill Bing "Practice enough so that your bad days don't sound like bad days to everyone else." From Bobby Shew "You've got to get their feet tapping." From Bob Millikan (about playing with Snooky Young) "He wasn't really loud.....he was just really good."

7. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hey Lemons

Thanks for sharing the good advise and welcome to TM.

Walter

8. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    This is a great piece of advice. Since moving to New York City several years ago and hearing all these wonderful jazz cats perform, the word, "humble" has no problem sinking into my brain these days. In fact, it has become second nature to me.

Janell

9. JunkyT

JunkyT Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There have been a couple of "ah-ha" moments for me over the last couple years.

Bryan Lynch: If you don't love to practice, really love it, get a day job.

Ingrid Jensen: You have to find ways to distract yourself from your own neuroses (in the practice room).

Ingrid Jensen: Focus on producing a beautiful sound with every note you play and the mechanics will take care of themselves.

Bill Adam: Most physical problems are air problems. When the air and the imagination are working, the embouchure, tongue, etc. can settle into balance. If the air never flows steadily the rest of your system will also be in a constant state of adjustment and compensation.

And a classic...

Charlie Parker: If you don't live it, it won't come out your horn.

Great post!

10. dmh737

dmh737 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2007
    North Alabama
    The best advise I received was in high school. I was trying to do my "Maynard" thing on a solo. It was actually rediculous. My instructor told me this. "It doesn't matter how high you can play. It doesn't matter how fast you can play. What matters is your sound. If you only have one note in a solo, make it the biggest, richest, sound ever. Concentrate on your sound." 15 years later that statement still keeps me grounded.