The single best trumpet advise ever!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Walter, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    From the excellent Stan Kessler: "When you're playing a solo don't worry about trying to sound like Freddie Hubbard. Just try not to suck."

2. TheLawTalkingGuy

TheLawTalkingGuy New Friend

Feb 25, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hopefuly this isn't too repetitive, but one of my early private teachers told me always to think/play musically, and never to just pick up the horn and blow. Kind of a variation on "Play music, not notes" or "Never practice, always perform" (Bud Herseth?)

The other advice (same teacher) was to listen to other great trumpet players I admired, and try to hear that sound in my head whenever playing. Worked for me. I'll never be a pro, and I lack much technically, but I am always conscious of my sound quality whenever I play.

3. Grav

Grav New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Rome, Italy:New York City
    To Trumpetdiva,
    Thanks for checking out my post. Those 2 words have stayed with me through the years and will continue to hang with me until the end I suppose. When you humble yourself to the music and the cats around you who are playing it, you can't help but grow as a musician and more importantly , in my humble opinion (no pun intended), as a person. And isn't that what it's all about? In striving for this we do indeed live our lives to the fullest.
    I lived in NYC (Brooklyn in fact) for 16 years and was extremely fortunate to do some good things musically. I'm sure you've had this experience as well--- suddenly you find yourself playing with cats you've respected and admired for a long time, and when you introduce yourself to her or him, it's like you've known each other for years. These great players are also in fact humble and make you feel so at ease and welcome in their scene. That, for me at least, is as deep as it gets.

4. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hi Jason

I have just revisited this thread and saw your post.....some really good advise!!..thank you for sharing it....

Walter

5. Makke

Makke New Friend

Nov 3, 2006
    The Netherlands
    One of my instructors always says before I'm soloing: "Relax and have fun... you ass". Always works for me :)

6. LarryP

LarryP New Friend

Sep 6, 2005
    For auditions: I found this advice to be very calming on the mind. It is still a work in progress trying to internalize this message, but I do my best....

The audition committee WANTS to hear great playing. They want YOU to be one of those special players who makes listening a pleasure and whom they can imagine as an asset to their group. They do not want to sit there and hear you make the same mistakes everyone else is making. No matter how mean and dour the committee looks or sounds, they are rooting for you until you give them reason to think otherwise.

As corrollary of this idea...if you play with great tone and musical integrity, a missed note or articulation is not fatal to your audition. Establish yourself as a true musician and they are more likely to grant leniency for 'technical' mistakes.

7. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I'm not sure if 2 pieces of advice can ever be a "best" but since I can't decide which, you get both.

Neither were given by trumpet players but both given by excellent musicians.

In college I was playing the principle chair for the opera Hansel and Grettel (It's hard enough spelling Grettle I'm not going to try Humperwhatsit). The oveture has that little exposed call that begins on a Concert E. I was playing a Bach Bb that had a rather small f# and was worried sick about blowing the call. I had problems in rehearsal and the conductor was getting impatient. I was starting to loose sleep. One evening after rehearsal I was having a few drops with the principle celloist, a Ph.D. Candidate. I confessed the problem I was having and he said, "No problem." His advice was to practice the first note. Play it over and over. Always play it in tempo w/ a metrenome. Play it with and without tongue. Play it until I could hear, feel and taste it. Then, he said on opening night, "concentrate on hitting just that first note." I followed his advice and the rest of the call literally fell out of the trumpet. Now I think "first note first." It also helps calm the jitters.

The second also came in college. I spent 4 years trying to pass piano competency and graduation was nearing. My piano teacher finally looked at me, as I failed for the 5th time, and said, "don't be overwhelmed by the immensity of the task!!" I passed the 6th time.

T Mac

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Tom, that one is a keeper. I'm will put it to good effect!

And as far as spelling goes: Hänsel und Gretel is an opera by Engelbert Humperdinck (Humperdinck himself described it as a fairy opera.) The libretto was written by Adelheid Wette (Humperdinck's sister), based on the Grimms' Hansel and Gretel. It was first performed in Weimar on December 23, 1893.

I couldn't resist.

9. eklobas

eklobas New Friend

Mar 15, 2007
    Seattle WA
    The quote i still remember after 30+ years, "Anyone can play the notes, but it takes a musician to play the rests".

10. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    My track coach use to tell me back in those days that "no pain no gain" I think this also applys to playing the horn. You must practice to the point of pain and fatigue even if the lip are bleeding and hurting.

Thanks.