The Stage 1 mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Bear, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hello Good folxs of the TM community.

Recently Felix has been generous and gracious enough to allow me to try out the Stage 1 Mouthpiece. Though I am not sure if this is a "lead specific" piece or not it works well in that category. A little background first: I am a lead player in a college jazz band. Outside of school I am also in a church orchestra and several rock/jazz groups and double on bone. My equipment include the Zeus line of horns and for mpcs I use Monette B4 line, a Bach 3C, a W46. Below are my thoughts/opinions of the piece. Felix may chime in and answer any specifics if I leave something out or just plain don't know.

Design: I am impressed with the overall look of the piece. "Futuristic" comes to mind. I'm not sure if it's a "heavy" peice but it is more dense then a stock peice.

Rim: Although the rim seems a little narrower than I am accustomed too it "feels" good. I am able to have clean, concise attacks. Endurance has never really been a problem for me so I cannot speak on that behalf.

Cup: A "double cup" design. Very open and free as the second cup seems to be more v shaped funneling the air away from the chops. It's not so shallow that I bottom out and it's not so deep that I feel like I'm swimming. I would hesistate to use this peice on an orch gig, but I'm sure it could be done. As for lead... oh yeah baby, bring it, lol.

Throat/Backbore: I'm not a mpc designer and don't claim to know anything about teh science of phyics/acoustics/sound production but I like an open, easy blowing, small resistenance piece. This mpc delivers for me.

Sound: I realize this is a vague concept since so much of ones sound depends on their inner ear and what they want. All I'm going to say is that this piece is very versatile in the sense that I can play a ballad with a dark tone or an uptempo swing with a bright tone all on the same piece. Coloring/manipulating the sound on this piece is a nonissue for me. On oher pieces I have struggled with that.

Conclusion: I strongly suggest you try this piece if you are looking for something new. If anyone would like to add anything in then please feel free. Clarence, I believe you were able to try the piece? Just keep in mind, these are my opinions and thoughts. Different strokes for different folxs. Felix, great job dude.

2. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I'll have to try one out some time. Price might be a problem though. Man does it ever suck to be a poor highschool student. Looks like Rocco won't be eating out much in the coming weeks :roll:

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    poor highscool student?! HAHAHA, try being a poor college student without the support of family!

Btw Rnut, we are in the same neck of the woods, ever wanna try my axes or pieces, just gimme a holla, you have my info.

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey bear, i agree with the stage1MP.
    im not a tech kind of guy, but i do know this new MP is banger-rang!
    It is indeed a weird looking hi-tech piece, but it really rocks.
    I was surprised how well it played in the low range.
    I think felix has a real winner here!
    Hey felix, when u gonna make one for flugle?
    Try this one fellas it wont let cha down! :thumbsup:

5. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    You'd better watch it saying statements like that around guys like me. I'm just selfish enough to take ya up on it. Actually, I WOULD kill to try a Zeus. If nothing else, I'd atleast like to make my own oppinion so I can argue and flame over the subject. It just sucks so much being out of the fight :-(

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Anytime Nut,

Clarence, What's up diggity-dawg. Glad that you have the same opinion, lol. The piece just screams to be played eh?

7. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Yo bear,it really amaze,s me how a lead piece can play so well in the lowrange,i really love it

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Stage 1 Mouthpiece

OK, folks, as many of you know I play the John Lynch Asymmetrics. However, I still ocassionally use standard symmetrical mouthpieces. I really like Felix's new mouthpiece! I first played one last summer when I got to play one of his prototypes. I now have one of his production models.

I find it works well for any idiom for me. I think it produces a nice tone for a legit environment when you back off on it and play very relaxed. However, you can really pop out the double C's on it if you choose to put some air through it!

Ok, trumpet players! If you really want to try something else, order up one of these and give it a go.

I'll bet you like it.

Peace!

Nick

9. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Guys: I agree. Just got one and it is a very well made piece, but I think it should be stressed that it is shallow and it is a lead piece. If you are used to, say a Bach 101/2C, this is shallower, just so you know. I like it a lot, but may end up not using it because I am so used to a deeper cup :cry:

10. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    i have big chops as well,
    at first i thought it was shallow as well, but then having that double rim really set,s it off!