The Stories Behind Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 3, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Anyone got a honker or hoooter or horn that has a interesting or nice story behind it?
    My Conn 28A was used in the Broadway Theatres and was purchased in Detroit by an Italian guy and I then bought it.
    I knew a guy which his civil war rotary cornet was used in the trenches in WWII by his grandfather!

2. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    My Xeno was used in DCI by the drum corps Carolina Crown for a season.

They did put a few scratches and small dings in the horn, as well as a very slight bend in the bell crook, but I can't complain because it was $1,000 USD less than a new one, and plays very well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    My Tr300 has been mine since 1999, it was sort of amusing when I took it in to be serviced and the lady asked me if it was a used horn. Was able to proudly say all the places with repairs have been from me. Either dropping it as a stupid kid, or needed the piece that hold teh lyre soldered back on because it fell off when playing.

Maybe not the history of some of the great horns you guys have out there, but is pretty special to me.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My Henry Lehnert cornet will be known as the horn Dale Proctor played for 20+ years in the well-known Civil War brass band, Olde Towne Brass...:lol:

It's been played on many of the major and minor Civil War battlefields (and Little Big Horn), recorded on 4 CDs, 8 appearances at the Great American Brass Band Festival, 1 appearance at ITG, hundreds of historical concerts, and featured in 1 movie, 1 PBS TV program on music of the Civil War, and 2 Ken Burns productions. Other than that, who knows the horn's history?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    Out of curiosity, what movie, tv program, and Ken Burns productions?
    And as for my own horns that I know their history:
    I know who the person who played my clarinet in middle school through college was; one of my other Clarinets was my mom's before mine; my Bass Clarinet, Tenor Sax, and Baritone Sax have been at my school for a very long time. (The Tenor and Bass since before the 60s, actually), and I know my Conn 17A was played by someone in a local high school, as I got it from them.
    To edit this later: I also bought my current main Clarinet from someone who lived in MS and played it through college there.

6. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    Have to agre which productions, I'm guess the west and the civil war?

I'm watching the West now on Netflix, if it is you, am going to have to give an extra special listen.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The movie was American Drummer Boy, the PBS program was Civil War Songs and Stories, and the Ken Burns films were Not for Ourselves Alone and Jazz. Unfortunately, The Civil War was made about a year before our group formed.

We were on the short list to be the band on Cold Mountain, but those scenes ended up being filmed in Romania. They hired a local band to play that part, with period instruments supplied from a collector in the U.S. After the filming was complete, we were contacted to see if we were interested in dubbing the music over the band portions of the film, as the rumor was the Romanian band wasn't very good. Could have been sound issues or something else, though. Anyway, we turned that project down, a little ticked off that they didn't use us originally and thinking it was just another low-budget film of some sort...:shock:

8. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    My strad was bought by the first/lead player at the saratoga performing arts center (SPAC) along with a twin 43. Apparently he went to Mannys in NYC and picked the very best ones they had. He played in the pit for what I can only assume we're some of the top orchestras, opera and ballet companies, and broadway stars of the time. When he passed away it was sent to a local music store, to be found and bought by me 15 years later. Still kicking myself because I didn't take a closer look at the 43, I bet it was one helluva horn.

9. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting comment about the Romanian band being used in the film. I heard recently that a lot of movie makers are making the musical recordings outside the US. It avoids perpetual royalties on the music. Bummer for US based musicians.

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My Callicchio belonged to Dudley Harvey, who was a former Navy musician, played in Woody Herman's 4th Herd, and did a bunch of studio work. My Bach Mercury was played on the Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga tour. My satin lacquer Adams A1 was the finalized model made for my buddy Trent Austin, and my other A1 was the 2nd one made, built that same week. ;-)
    I almost forgot - the Marcinkiewicz flugel up for sale was #4 made, built as the showroom demo with an extra large bell, and my Conn 112B is one of 7 of that model known to exist!