The Stories Behind Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 3, 2016.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Inb4 "some italian guy" turns out to be Vacchiano.

I have a 70 y.o. Strad', the original owner from the shop card is still alive, at least, according to google. I keep getting an itch to call him and see if he'd like to talk about it, but then life gets in the way. I wonder if the horn's got a cool story. The other vintage hooters I've got seem to have been played for short whiles, then put away and forgotten.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    No the Italian guy is not W.Vacchiano. I know the seller and he has a different name.

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    My Getzen 390 belonged to a played it in band for 3 years before quitting. He tried to give a bath to sell it, but he used too hot water and boiled off the lacquer. $35 :D.

4. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    My Marceau cornet was built between 1900-1905. It was bought by a family of musicians to play. Every child played a different instrument. Sadly they all pased away, exept for one. She is now 97. And she is also friends with my mom, so she gave me the cool thing after sitting in her attic for 10 years. Surprisingly it plays very nice. There are tuning issues however. But other than that it is amazing, and means a lot to me.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My SIL has a cornet that belonged to a friend of her's son. He passed away right after high school I believe. It sat in her friend's attic until two years ago when she finally decided to let it go. Not an expensive one, a Holton,I believe( haven't had it out for a while). Needs some slide work, and I did have to pick up another case for it( thanks to another TM member who I got it from):oops:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The only cool horn story I know of was for a trumpet that belonged to a friend of a friend. On the surface it wasn't anything fancy - it was just a Bach Strad ML 37, but man was it a player - it just sang. Apparently it had been owned previously by Fred Mills of the Canadian Brass, and it had been tweaked to the max, which was why it played so danged well, or at least that was the story behind it.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The only 2 of my horns that have a story that I know are the Eclipse that was built for me after a visit to the factory in 2008 and the 1924 Couturier conical bore trumpet that was Oldlou's, from his writings it may have belonged to his father.

Regards, Stuart.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My sousaphone has been on stage with and/or opened for the Blackeyed Peas, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Harry Connick Jr, Drake, Carly Rae Jepsen, Salt N Peppa...

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Patrick, it must be one of the Bachs that helped build the Bach reputation. I've got a number of Strads, but the earliest one if far superior to the others. It was like that off the showroom floor. The guy I bought it from took one of the top trumpet profs to NY city and they played everything they could find before selecting it.

Guess my question is- are horns tweakable? I mean, other than maybe a valve alignment (which I think has only recently become popular), what else can be done to it? Just trying to learn.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are a lot of things that can be done. I've heard people say that you can take an off-the-shelf Bach Strad and have a good brass tech do the following modifications:

• Complete disassembly
    • true, square and chamfer all tubing ends
    • carefully reassemble, insuring that the horn goes together stress free and without extra solder
    • valve alignment
    • receiver adjustment for better gap

Supposedly, if you do those things, the horn comes back just dynamite.

I suppose one could even have the horn cryogenically treated - supposedly that's actually a viable procedure that enables the brass to fully resonate due to realigning the metal's crystalline structure, or something to that effect.