The Stories Behind Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I have also heard of a mod where you put O-Rings on the valve caps, which supposedly changes the slotting of the horn.

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
  3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Many of our family's horns have stories, I like to collect what there is, anyway.

My main horn was Mic Gillette's first custom horn, played in Tower of Power and on all the albums he recorded in 1972-1974, according to Mic [RIP]. I love it. It's unique, and it play gooder than I do.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YUCK. Destroy the response by getting rid of the tuning slide braces and then add massive weight to the valves to get (only) some of it back. Finally the weight on the end of the leadpipe... Not with ANY of my horns. Gross imbalance. But it does look "cool".

I don't even need the horn in my hands to know how it plays. It for sure is no longer a Bach.

5. Chick

Chick New Friend

Dec 19, 2015
    I recently bought an early 60s Olds Mendez originally owned by one of my band mates and sold to another of my band mates. The second owner recently passed away. I then purchased it from his estate. I love the horn and feel good about 'keeping it in the family' so to speak.

6. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi All,
    My 1941Bach NY Strad #5391 was spotted at a recording studio while I was doing a jingle recording about thity five years ago. It was being used as a door stop!
    An intense discussion on my part at least and a hundred dollars later it was all mine. Apparently the horn was found wedged behind an old car's back seat. Over the years the bell developed a gentle boomerang shape from people leaning back into it. When I was able to find the funds a trip was made by the old girl to Charle Melk, Sherry at Artistic Engraving and Anderson's for a valve job. It plays great btw. Now at age 65 and looking at the last half of the third period of the game I am thinking of passing on to a fine young player friend. Last thing I would want to have happen is my executor putting the horn on fleabay with no idea of its value. Any other ideas that aging players have regarding the dispostion of their historically valuable instruments?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you've now selected a "fine young player friend" for your bequest, state such in your documented WILL as will allow him/her to then receive your bequest following your demise. Otherwise, your appointed Executor is at liberty to dispose of them anyway he/she can within the term of Probate set by the Court. Of course, relatives can challenge the bequests or anything else in your Will, even your competency in the preparation of your Will.

It is advisable that you seek legal counsel with an attorney / solicitor on this matter.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have an old Martin trumpet, plays great!

My great grandfather bought it and gave it to my grandfather when he showed promise. He really loved that horn and wanted it to always be used for music in our family. He told my dad that when he showed some real skill on the trumpet, grandpa would give it to him.
    My dad worked his tail off and one day grandpa lovingly gave my dad the horn.
    My dad was a great player.
    I worked and worked and studied as hard as I could, and when I got pretty good, my dad sold me that horn!

9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    My peckhorn was used by someone in the Salvation Army. In the horn case was a speeding ticket from Alaska. I live in Montana. Where that horn has been is a mystery.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My grandfather bought a Holton Clarke model long cornet in 1911 or 1912. My father tried but never developed enough interest, so my grandfather continued to play at the GE Schenectady factory band until it disbanded. As a young child, I always had him play for me. When he died, I was 10 and inherited it. Still use it today although it could use a valve job and some new silver plate.