The Story of Your Trumpet Journey

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Dec 9, 2014.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    And Michael Jordan's high school coach told him he'd never be a basketball player....

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If my name was Arturo Sandoval, your illustration would fit...:lol:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Isn't Arturo Sandoval spanish for Dale Proctor?:dontknow:

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, Dale Proctor in Spanish is "El gringo hack".

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing! I, too have benefitted from the folks here on TM, and was not really a comeback player, but plugged along all this time, but felt a lot of help came from the good folks here on TM.
    Oddly enough, my story is exactly the same as Doc's, down to the tiniest detail. Isn't that something?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As a kid, four or five years old I loved to rock in a rocking chair, especially if our one classical recording was playing Hungarian Rhapsody #2 (Philadelphia Orchestra) and I really liked the brass sound. Years later (fifth grade) we were given the chance to sign up for band. I was all set to play drums when I heard Tijuana Taxi for the first time (my parent's Ford at the intersection of Woolard Rd. and Little Spokane Drive) and fell in love with the trumpet. All the elementary bands pooled resources for a big concert each Spring and got to be one of the soloists on the duet Picnic Time.

The summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of High School I took lessons from our band director and he turned me on to Chase, Maynard, and Don Ellis. I became a screamer. Of all of my course work the trumpet was the biggest challenge, so I decided to major in Music in college, with the goal of becoming a lead player. I was blessed to have a great professor (Gerald Webster) as well as a real good history and theory department, and discovered that classical music had more and better stories to tell than jazz. While Webster was on sabbatical the grad student teaching trumpet told me I'd never be a good trumpeter. I got seriously pissed, and my anger really helped the transition from Herb, Maynard, Chase and Ellis to an orchestral player.

I studied brass pedagogy in graduate school, and upon graduation won a job with a regional orchestra. I played 3rd trumpet for about six years, met a German lady, fell in love and moved to Germany, where I freelanced. I had a great chance to learn the German style and the chance to teach and tour (but not in a big band). In 2007 I discovered Trumpetmaster, and moved back to the States (after receiving a one-way ticket back to America from my wife.) I quit playing for a while, then got back into playing. And, uh, here I am.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    So you moved back to the states because of TrumpetMaster!

8. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't consider myself a typical comeback player, I've just had periods of time later in my adult life I didn't play trumpet. I wasn't a band geek, didn't march or go to school for music. I was strictly into bebop & cool jazz since my teens on. I play guitar, too, so there have been periods where it got most of my practice attention. In my 20's I played jams with friends, very occasional band gigs. By the time I hit my 30's, I got tired of practicing the same stuff every day, but never getting any better or getting out of the house with it. I put the trumpet down and went through a productive period with guitar. Around age 40, just over 10 years ago, I picked up the horn again during a period of unemployment. I made headway this time using the Gordon approach, but didn't have any luck finding a local teacher or playing opportunities, so after hitting it hard for a few months, I quit again. This time I sold my horns, except my trusty old Strad. Every few months or years I'd pick it up again. Then about 3 years ago, newly single, I started again in earnest. I've been at it ever since, and this time I found a Skype teacher and a few playing opportunities, and I think I'm playing better than ever. So I don't really look at it as a comeback, but that I'm finally doing something more with it.

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Dale is "give him/her/it" in Spanish. Not aware of any Spanish equivalent for 'Proctor'.

We'll go with "Give 'em Proctor!"

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh....Yeah, sure!