the Super Olds

Discussion in 'Horns' started by msu_ggtrumpet, May 10, 2005.

1. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    i am playing on a Super Olds. a professor at my school says it was built in the 1950's. if anyone knows anything about this horn please help me. i am wondering if it is a good horn to keep.

msu_ggtrumpet

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm, it would be wise to look up the serial number. There's a link somewhere around here that gives the year for each number range. If I find it I'll be sure to put it here. Does the bell say Fullerton or Los Angeles California?

However, I can tell you that a Super Olds, especially one like you seem to have, is more than likely a good horn. Olds made extremely good horns around this point in time, and up until the 1970's or so. After that they kinda went downhill. I play an Olds Studio that I believe was made around 1948 (I think, it could be as late as 1952). I love that old horn. Plays solid, excellent tone, solid intonation. And this is usually consistent with most Olds instruments of this era.

I can't tell you whether or not you should keep the instrument. You alone can decide if the horn plays the way you want, gives you the sound you want. Everyone here will tell you that as long as it doesn't have red rot, it's a desired horn (especially the Super model).

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You beat me to it by like...30 seconds

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    They stopped making the Super Recording in 1950, replacing it with the Recording. Bleh. :D

The Opera, the Mendez, and the Super are the Olds horns to own, in my honest opinion.

About how it compares with the super horns of today, I haven't played the Super or the Opera yet, but the Mendez feels and sounds almost exactly like a Kanstul 1503. You need to speak more with Happy Canuck. He is THE Olds man here, period.

Van

6. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    I'm thinking about upgrading my Ambassador and was looking at the Super and the Studio. Can anyone with experience of both give me any info about the blow, sound etc? I play in a big band and a Soul/pop band so I;m looking for a bright sound.

I've been to Olds central but any personal views would be great

Cheers
    Des